• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo blanket?

I've been considering buying a turbo blanket given the research I've done so far.  Seems the claims are real where lower under hood temps and better turbine efficiency are the results.  Maybe worth it for when I tow heavy in triple digit summer heat..... But I thought I'd comb the forums seeing if anyone has some experience first.

6 hours ago, KATOOM said:

I've been considering buying a turbo blanket given the research I've done so far.  Seems the claims are real where lower under hood temps and better turbine efficiency are the results.  Maybe worth it for when I tow heavy in triple digit summer heat..... But I thought I'd comb the forums seeing if anyone has some experience first.

I have a heat blanket covering the exhaust manifold, turbo charger (exhaust side), exhaust down pipe, oil pan, and valve cover. This heat blanket is designed to easily withstand temperatures well above 2,000 degrees F., so the material does not deteriorate. The  heat blankets were custom made and installed by Advanced Thermal Products in Irvine, CA

The engine compartment runs considerably cooler, the seals in the exhaust brake vacuum cylinder no longer get scorched, and the passenger side floor now stays cool when pulling a long grade on a hot day.  My wife likes that.  I also removed the homemade heat shield protecting the BHAF as it is no longer necessary.

There are noise reduction benefits, as well.  The raucous idle clatter is subdued when standing outside of the vehicle as well as when sitting inside or driving down the road with the windows up or down.  My wife likes that, too. 

The purpose for covering the valve cover and oil pan was for engine noise reduction only.  The purpose for covering the exhaust components was for heat reduction in the engine compartment.  There was some noise reduction benefit, as well.

I can't make any claims as to the turbo spooling faster or that it is more efficient, but the turbo performs well (spools up early) and EGT's stay under 1200 degrees on a long grade pulling hard.  This is with stock injectors and the Smarty programmer set  on SW5 with default timing and fuel duration.

As far as turbo cool down, it is always below 350 degrees by the time I park the truck, so I don't treat the cool down period any differently than I did before the heat blanket installation..

I can't compare EGT before and after the exhaust blanket installation because I had the EGT gauge and Smarty installed after the exhaust blankets.  The blankets have been in use for over 45,000 miles and over two years.  In my opinion the benefits are  worth the money.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 2

• Owner

@KATOOM I just spent the last year no wiretap with my Quadzilla and +75HP injectors. I fought to even reach 1,200*F EGT's. I can hold the throttle to the floor going up 6-7% grades and never reach 1,200*F EGT's. It would do you lot of good to look towards a tuner that allowed for timing control.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, RV275, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash cubby hole, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's

I don't see a tuner on your signature for timing control. Stock ECM is going to be pretty retarded and create a lot of EGT heat. Then with the 285's tires that just making the rear axle ratio lower and adding more drag to the engine making more heat. 

I will admit now that I've tapped the VP44 again it really easy to tip 1,400*F EGT's but if I'm plan on towing I'll just drop to Level 3 I keep the timing on the Quadzilla but drop the wiretap completely then I'm back to super low EGT's. No blankets required. Just timing...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Tractorman, thank you for your in depth reply.  Thats the answer I was looking for. :thumbup2:

Just to clarify for others..... What I'm looking to gain is simply the reduction of heat for everything surrounding the turbine housing.  If that happens to offer some lower EGT's on hard pulls then bonus.  I just cant see how having a 1100* - 1200* object under there could be beneficial to any bystanding objects.

One of the reasons I'm interested too is because of what I witnessed directly after installing an exhaust blanket (not wrap) on the section of exhaust running along side my transmission Fastcooler.  If the 900*+ exhaust will heat up the transmission fluid sitting in a wide open area under the truck then a 1100*+ turbo has to cause some serious underhood temperatures in those confines.  Heck, I may even look into a manifold blanket and another exhaust blanket for the turbo outlet.  Well see how expensive this gets..... :whistle2:

• Staff

I run TPP blankets on my manifold and turbine housing and header wrap on my downpipe. The underhood temps are considerably lower and I like that. I can pull a slow hill at 1000°-1100° EGT's get to the top, stop and touch the blanket.

I'd never run an oil pan blanket thou. The oil pan has a high surface area that will provide some oil cooling and I do not want the oil retaining any additional heat when I am towing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KATOOM said:

Maybe I'm overlooking it.....but I dont see it.

https://turbo-performance-products.myshopify.com/collections/cummins-products/products/cummins-24-valve-turbo-sock

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I run TPP blankets on my manifold and turbine housing and header wrap on my downpipe. The underhood temps are considerably lower and I like that. I can pull a slow hill at 1000°-1100° EGT's get to the top, stop and touch the blanket.

I'd never run an oil pan blanket thou. The oil pan has a high surface area that will provide some oil cooling and I do not want the oil retaining any additional heat when I am towing.

Did you have to custom order the header wrap?

• Staff
3 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Did you have to custom order the header wrap?

I got the standard 2" header wrap from the local auto parts store along with the silicone spray to help keep moisture out, thou I don't think it stays very moist with the temps it sees. I'll be changing the exhaust this spring and I'll inspect it. 

I attached it with 3 or 4 5" hose clamps. 

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/design-engineering-exhaust-wrap-black-2-x-15-010121/17310029-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=17310029-P&adtype=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1-fVBRC3ARIsAIifYOM6-uV8gI0IlrhxBU8Tf4nUvaBs8N0RSiduZCHfMmcv5TkbcFyw2XQaAmEtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, notlimah said:

Thank you. Thats why I didnt see it...  I was looking for a form fit blanket not a sock.

The only company I know who's making a fit blanket is https://thermalzero.com/

Its not shown on their website yet because they're still in the process of making it.  Should be available in a couple weeks... :thumbup2: