• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

TIRES - Sizes, brands, etc. - What do you run?

Different brands of tires have different rubber compounds that make them last longer. The torque that the new diesels have wears them out faster while pulling trailers also versus the older light 3/4 ton gassers that didn't have that much power thats why 235/85 was a popular tire back then, now days they are not that common as 265 and 245 tires have replaced them. I got over 100k out of a set of 285/75/16 bfg ats and had them siped when brand new on a 1/2 ton gasser and they towed on gravel a lot also. I can guarantee they wouldn't have lasted near that long on a diesel.

I got some 55K on the OEM Michelin LTX... at least 10k more in them. Fine highway tires... but I need something more open for snow & the occasional detour off the asphalt. My OEM rims are getting corrosion where the center cap rubs...

Yokohama Geolander AT. They never need much to balance them and are wearing well. Ride is smooth. Note: tire pressure should be ~65#. Any higher (at least when new) and they wander like you have no caster. I bought at Discount Tire because Discount price matches tire price on web sites. Find the tire you want, find cheapest tire price & make Discount match. You add install, tax & you're out the door with lifetime balance.

Yokohama Geolander AT. They never need much to balance them and are wearing well. Ride is smooth. Note: tire pressure should be ~65#. Any higher (at least when new) and they wander like you have no caster. I bought at Discount Tire because Discount price matches tire price on web sites. Find the tire you want, find cheapest tire price & make Discount match. You add install, tax & you're out the door with lifetime balance.

i also went to Discount Tire. i got 4 Yokohama Geolander ATS. got the stock size of 245/75r16 on the stock rims. they are wearing well, but DT cannot seem to get one of them balanced as i have a wobble at 30-45MPH

Mine have been outstanding needing very little weight to balance them. Don't put up with yours if the tires are at fault. Tires are expensive even if you beat the retailer down on price. Years ago, I fought steering on a 78 Datsun Z that pulled to the right. The installer blamed it on the suspension. I was to the point of going aftermarket suspension when the tires wore out. End of problem. I decided then that I wouldn't keep tires that didn't perform as promised. The store has the ability to make it right but may need inducement to act.

Well I just got back from the tires shop and ended up with a set of Yokohama Geolandar ATS 285/75/16 Ds for $700 installed.

The load rating is 3368lb per tire, where the 265/75/16E is 3472lb per tire, and the 235/85/16E is 3169lb per tire.

I was looking at getting a set of BFG ATs but they were going to be right at $900 for the set. The owner of this shop is my mechanic buddy's friend so I know he wouldn't screw me. He said these tires should wear about the same as the BFGs and are just as good off road. I'm happy and glad I got a good deal (to me anyway).

I also didn't spin or have to use four wheel drive coming up the drive way with these!

The tire size calculator says these will spin 23 times less per mile, which over the course of 50,000miles is 1,150,000 revolutions less than the 265s. That HAS to help, I would think. :thumb1:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I run Michelin LTX AS 265/70/17's. There is not a better tire for the highway. I get well over 100k out of every set. If I drove in snow more I would get Michelion MS2. The AS also get the best fuel mileage of all the tires. They have a 75k mile waranty. Since you are getting new tires I would look into 17 inch rims off a 3rd gen. They look much better and they allow you to run a 3rd gen caliper and rotor so you can get bigger brakes. post-145-138698174406_thumb.jpg BTW, it is a sunny 70 here today.

post-145-138698174388_thumb.jpg

post-145-138698174388_thumb.jpg

post-145-138698174406_thumb.jpg

Blake, your truck looks like mine only with a short bed & less dents.

Those pictures are VERY flattering. I don't bother washing it anymore because it brings out the horrible brush pinstriping and scratches. There are no major dents other than the bedrails and tailgate but the paint is shot. Completely scratched up, clearcoat flaking off roof and hood, etc. I could never own a nice new $50K truck because I use the crap out of stuff the way it was designed to be used. This truck gets used hard.

I run Michelin LTX AS 265/70/17's. There is not a better tire for the highway. I get well over 100k out of every set. If I drove in snow more I would get Michelion MS2. The AS also get the best fuel mileage of all the tires. They have a 75k mile waranty. Since you are getting new tires I would look into 17 inch rims off a 3rd gen. They look much better and they allow you to run a 3rd gen caliper and rotor so you can get bigger brakes. [ATTACH=CONFIG]2357[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2358[/ATTACH] BTW, it is a sunny 70 here today.

sweet action, so is the swap straight forward??? just go down to the local parts house and buy rotors and calipers for a 3rd gen???

I bought calipers and the brackets from a jukyard and new rotors from napa. You need 17" wheels for the swap to work. It might be you only need to change the caliper brackets. I can't remember because I did this a while ago. If you can get a third gen caliper just look and see if it is the same. If it is (which I think it is) just get the brackets from a junk yard.

Well these Yokohama tires ride like crap. They are really squirrely and feel like I'm towing a front-heavy trailer when I'm empty. I guess that's what you get for running a cheaper tire in a 285 (8 ply too).

I'm lucky that I bought them from the little shop that my buddy recommended. I called the shop and the owner (3 employees total) answered and I asked him what I could do to make these tires right, that I was afraid to tow a trailer with the way it is right now. He said he has put thousands of sets of 285s 8 plys on 3/4 ton diesels over the years and never had a problem but wants me happy and comfortable.

He told me that he would do whatever it took to make it right and he swapped the Yokos for Michelin (265/75/16 E rated) tires. All I had to pay was the difference in what I paid for the Yokohamas and the price of the Michelins. Basically a full refund on the Yokohamas even though I put 200 mi on them.

The Michelins are good and are a 100K mile tire from my experience and many others. I've run them before and they're pretty boring but dependable and really long lasting once you swallow the price.

I will be giving this guy 100% of my business from now on and will be sending all my friends there as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well these Yokohama tires ride like crap. They are really squirrely and feel like I'm towing a front-heavy trailer when I'm empty. I guess that's what you get for running a cheaper tire in a 285 (8 ply too). I'm lucky that I bought them from the little shop that my buddy recommended. I called the shop and the owner (3 employees total) answered and I asked him what I could do to make these tires right, that I was afraid to tow a trailer with the way it is right now. He said he has put thousands of sets of 285s 8 plys on 3/4 ton diesels over the years and never had a problem but wants me happy and comfortable. He told me that he would do whatever it took to make it right and he swapped the Yokos for Michelin (265/75/16 E rated) tires. All I had to pay was the difference in what I paid for the Yokohamas and the price of the Michelins. Basically a full refund on the Yokohamas even though I put 200 mi on them. The Michelins are good and are a 100K mile tire from my experience and many others. I've run them before and they're pretty boring but dependable and really long lasting once you swallow the price. I will be giving this guy 100% of my business from now on and will be sending all my friends there as well.

That is a top notch businessman! You'd think other companies would learn from that since he now gets your business and all of your friends'. You might even post his info on here in case one of us ends up wherever he is.

The place is in Jasper GA. I 100% recommend them. If anyone is in the area PM me for their contact.Do y'all know how to get this blue stuff off the lettering? I asked them if it would and they said yes, but I forgot to ask how to get it off.

Well these Yokohama tires ride like crap. They are really squirrely and feel like I'm towing a front-heavy trailer when I'm empty. I guess that's what you get for running a cheaper tire in a 285 (8 ply too). I'm lucky that I bought them from the little shop that my buddy recommended. I called the shop and the owner (3 employees total) answered and I asked him what I could do to make these tires right, that I was afraid to tow a trailer with the way it is right now. He said he has put thousands of sets of 285s 8 plys on 3/4 ton diesels over the years and never had a problem but wants me happy and comfortable. He told me that he would do whatever it took to make it right and he swapped the Yokos for Michelin (265/75/16 E rated) tires. All I had to pay was the difference in what I paid for the Yokohamas and the price of the Michelins. Basically a full refund on the Yokohamas even though I put 200 mi on them. The Michelins are good and are a 100K mile tire from my experience and many others. I've run them before and they're pretty boring but dependable and really long lasting once you swallow the price. I will be giving this guy 100% of my business from now on and will be sending all my friends there as well.