• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is it possible to have an oil cap with a vent for the valve cover? I am fixing to install a 12v tappet cover and want to vent the valve cover aswell, so ill have 3 vents. Is it possible to vent the valve cover without drilling and welding bungs and doing what i said and making or buying an oil cap with baffles and filter on it?

My little truck had 2 breathers in the valve cover. 

Just push in type through grommet. 

Never had any issues with them or  unusual oil deposits under them. 

6FFB6EF2-8FB8-4EAE-8067-5D66AFE823F9.jpeg

Along these lines. Nothing special.

Valve Cover Breather

The motor had maybe 3000 miles on a non stock rebuild.

Edited by Ben
  • Like 1

I looked at a 24 Valve engine the other day and it dd not have the usual breather in the front. There was just a round cover there.

The breather was in the same place as the 12 valves. In the side cover.

Has a tube on it that would be pretty easy to just stick in the frame rail. I was pretty impressed.

I might have to grab the setup. Will get pics tomorrow if need be.

Regards Chris

I don't have to vent that much. The truck has 0 blowby at an idle and ide guess very little on WOT runs. The oil cap only spins in a circle cause the engine rattles. I don't beat on this truck. Just figured the more the merrier.I might have to look into those breathers. Im not a fabricator by any means and cutting holes is my enemy. I am an oem guy with a little touch of love on top to suit my needs.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

The only problem I see with the valve cover breathers is the vapor coming back in the cab. Rotella and even some of the CK-4 oils now have a fairly strong oil odor when fresh. This why I made the mod to route the vapor behind the cab and not have to smell that oil vapor at every stop light. Adding excessive amounts of vents isn't going to change the performance other than mess later on. 

Years ago another member on CF created a vacuum vent system using the exhaust. Basically tapped in a one-way exhaust valve and the venturi effect pulled a light vacuum on the crankcase. The only problem there is the fact it would be possible pull oil into the exhaust pipe. 

Just better to aim it at the ground and let it vent. Keep your tubing short and rigid. Avoid using rubber hose it does get soft and kink very easy. 

I was gonna get some 3/4 heater hose and run the vent below the motor from the tappet cover. My truck has a front vent already and it already has the vent mod to run the hoe lower on the motor instead of right on the motor. The factory installed it before my parents took delivery way back. I made a bio about all the weird things on my truck that don't line up with others the same year model.

What type of hose and what size should i use to vent the tappet cover?