• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I am gonna take the oil pan drain plug and throw it as far as I can...........

Got around to changing the oil and doing some services and maintenance on the wife's truck yesterday. It still has the OEM oil pan drain plug in it. I was going to replace the drain plug last time with a magnetic drain plug I bought from some scam artist on eBay but the plug didn't even come close to fitting. Last oil change I ordered a magnetic drain plug from Genos Garage and have it ready to install this time. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HDOP-KIT-22MM I put one of these drain plugs on my other truck and they work great. I just wish they would make them with the rare earth high strength magnets. I put these rare earth magnets on the oil filter as little extra measure of protection. Not sure if they make any difference or not but they are REALLY strong for such small magnets. I got them from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-rare-earth-magnets-67488.html These magnets come in a stack of 10 but I place them 2 at a time stacked in a circle of 5 on the lower side of the oil filter. These puppies are unbelieveably strong for such a small magnet and for $1.99, the price is RIGHT! :thumbup2: As is par for the course, the OEM oil pan drain plug was a sombiatch to get loose (I torqued it to 37 ft./lbs. last oil change) and when I FINALLY did break it loose........of course oil comes spraying out the threads in a wide circle even though I only backed out the plug a 1/4 turn. Could not get the plug to come out without burning the hell out of my hands, so I had to wait until the oil flow slowed down a bit. I prefer to get the oil pan drain plug out right away so the oil can escape and drag as much if any crud along with it as possible. :banghead::mad::ahhh::soap: Maybe this drain plug might be put on duty as target on the 200 meter range. :lmao::lmao2::thumbup2: Anyhow, I just needed to vent. :cookoo:

I am going to move this into general conversations. Kinda isn't 24V help related :lol: Might try wearing gloves next time.. I never even try to take mine out, I don't even think it has ever been out. When I took the pan off a few months ago there was no sludge or anything that doesn't come out with the oil so I don't think that is much of an issue :shrug: I see your point though, better safe than sorry :thumbup2:

JFYI, the magnets only work on and capture "ferrous"; aka, particles that contain Iron. All other particles are "immune" to the magnet. That includes silica, copper, silver, lead, etc........you know what I mean. I've got a "Fumoto Valve" in place of my pan plug. Works great. Got it from Genos Garage. Love it!!:thumbup2:

JFYI, the magnets only work on and capture "ferrous"; aka, particles that contain Iron. All other particles are "immune" to the magnet. That includes silica, copper, silver, lead, etc........you know what I mean. I've got a "Fumoto Valve" in place of my pan plug. Works great. Got it from Genos Garage. Love it!!:thumbup2:

How does this drain plug work out as far as any leaks? I have thought about one of those but was kinda remotely concerned about some yahoo draining your oil out in the middle of nowhere. I like the idea of these plugs.

The only reason I didn't do the valve... Is because of all the logs, branches, and debris I drive over it would really suck to have a stick or limb swing the valve open on you.. :(

I try to be careful about that but that was another consideration I was worried about. Which reminds me, these engines should be equipped with a low oil pressure shut down switch......but that is another subject.

• Owner

Actually no there not... There is no low pressure shutdown on these as far as I know. I got a neighbor that ruined a 3rd Gen by getting stuck in a ditch with the nose down really steep and the oil pump was dry so the alarms and the light came on for the oil pressure then it was too late... Ate the rigs on 3 cylinders... :rolleyes: End up selling the truck...:stuned:

Actually no there not... There is no low pressure shutdown on these as far as I know. I got a neighbor that ruined a 3rd Gen by getting stuck in a ditch with the nose down really steep and the oil pump was dry so the alarms and the light came on for the oil pressure then it was too late... Ate the rigs on 3 cylinders... :rolleyes: End up selling the truck...:stuned:

I was venting that there SHOULD be. It would save a lot of money for a lot of folks in various circumstances such as that.

Does anyone make a replacement drain plug that eliminates the immediate fountain of hot oil as soon as you break the threads loose? I absolutely love changing other cars' oil that don't let any oil out until you completely remove the plug.

The Fumoto Valve requires 2 distinct actions for it to open. A push in one direction to "un-notch/unlock" it and another 90 degree turn to actually open the ball valve. I suppose it's possible for something to be able to do what I described, but it's not happened to me yet. I do a fair bit of off-roading in the fall and winter down 2 tracks and thru fields. Not a problem................I probably just jinxed myself though!!!:stuned:

• Staff

The only reason I didn't do the valve... Is because of all the logs, branches, and debris I drive over it would really suck to have a stick or limb swing the valve open on you.. :(

I agree, those valves look very scary to me!! As it is without a level kit the oil pan is level with the axle tube, that's 90% of the reason I have a level kit on my truck. What I would like to see is the drain plug sit horizontal in one of the aft corners. I bet more than a qt of oil is left in the pan when you drain it out. If the pan weren't such a PITA to change I would make a custom pan and sell it.. It would have cooling fins on the bottom/side, be about 2" wider and have a plug that allowed all the oil to drain. It would also have a port in it for a 400w heating element (like toyota uses on their 4.0L all alum blocks)... Now how nice would that be!

• Owner

I agree, those valves look very scary to me!! As it is without a level kit the oil pan is level with the axle tube, that's 90% of the reason I have a level kit on my truck.

What I would like to see is the drain plug sit horizontal in one of the aft corners. I bet more than a qt of oil is left in the pan when you drain it out.

If the pan weren't such a PITA to change I would make a custom pan and sell it.. It would have cooling fins on the bottom/side, be about 2" wider and have a plug that allowed all the oil to drain. It would also have a port in it for a 400w heating element (like toyota uses on their 4.0L all alum blocks)... Now how nice would that be!

Hey now I buy one if you build it... :thumbup2:

has anyone seen a dry sump cummins?