• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Beware - All you electronic key vehicles

• Owner

I ran across a new article on Daily Mail with MoparMom where they explain how easy it is to buy fob blanks and the programming tools to produce your own key fobs. The example they show is stealing a Ford vehicle in under 2 minutes without breaking anything on the vehicle. Basically, the device will tell the vehicle to forget the previous key fob and use the new key fob provided for entry. A person can do the in a normal parking lot in daylight because you just pressing a few buttons on a device and the door is unlocked and you can start the vehicle without any tools or breaking anything. No one is any wiser about the theft. This is becoming a problem where Amazon and eBay are selling the device to hack the security of the vehicle for $100 to $200 and you can use it as many times as you wish.

Daily Mail= daily fail :lmao:, but on that same note I would agree with what you're stating. Just waiting for the day when insurance companies will force us to put GPS in our trucks for safety and better rates. Just a matter of time imo, then they'll just be able to withdraw money for a traffic violations right out of your account since everything will be linked. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
Smart phone dumb owner

• Staff

Dieselfuture since you laughing so hard I'm giving you an assignment....... you have to come up with A key FOB delete switch :thumbup2:.

What can we do :shrug:  both my trucks have that!

So just to go in Safeway I gotto pop the hood get the wrench out and disconnect the batteries?! :wow:

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Take spark plug wires with you

Hard to do on these trucks...... Guess I'll take the whole VP with me!  

Jokes aside I've got a kill switch in my truck and disable a few things under the hood when I leave it sit. Best of luck to thieves. They'd have to tow it. 

As for proximity keys like the new cars, I've read that VW got in trouble for not having enough security in their key-to-car communications. Like out of X combinations that could be used for communications, they only used two or three, which were stored in the car's memory. Easily hackable.

Edited by trreed