• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Apps going bad? No codes

3 hours ago, dripley said:

Do I have mixed up with someone else. I have CRD syndrome also.

Does your CRD stand for Chronic Respiratory Disease.....or Cant Remember D***?  Because I know I suffer from the second one.

If the absolute throttle drops along with engine load, then isn't that an issue with the throttle?

The absolute throttle climbs and drops way slower than throttle, its inaccurate, but you can still see it drop. The picture below is an example. The load drops to zero during a shift and it takes seconds for it to register the throttle dropped. It's only happens on the log, it drops right away when I let off the pedal. (Hope that made sense)

Everytime I experience the surge or deal spot problem, the engine load drops, BUT so does the absolute throttle, it just takes a second to register on the data log. 

I hope it's not the ecm, but if it is, then what can you do. I'm guna try what @dripley said with the wires and see what that does.

I don't want to throw unnecessary money away, but I'd almost just throw a timbo on it to see what happens before dropping a lot more to rebuild a ecm unless its 100% the ecm that's the problem 

20180531_114535.jpg

1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

Does your CRD stand for Chronic Respiratory Disease.....or Cant Remember D***?  Because I know I suffer from the second one.

It was supposed to be CRS. I believe both can be interchanged though. Bad enough to have it but this damn tablet is smarter than me and keeps changing what I type. 

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would give an update.

Tuesday, my radiator cracked , on the plastic part on the side go figure, so I took it to a shop and they put a new one in, would have done it myself, but I work and needed it back asap, had to special order it from the auto parts store. I told the mechanic about my throttle issues, unfortunately,  and of course, they couldn't get it to replicate itself.

I got it back, and it ran perfect. Like it hasn't run so smooth in forever, I cant remember when. I asked if they did a re-learn on the apps, and the guy said he wasnt sure, didn't bother asking the mechanic what he did, but whatever. I'm confident the problem is the app sensor, but I'm gonna run it until it starts acting up. I want to say it may not start giving me problems until the grid heaters start being used again this fall.

My ac noise is in the tolerable range, .03, but when The grids kick on, maybe it's a different story. I'll make sure to keep this updated as time progresses, either way, a timbo is going to be the best route in the end

• 4 weeks later...

Another update and a question

Update: after a week, the throttle issues came back. During this time, the mornings were cold enough to cause the grids to kick on. So I did a throttle reset by pulling battery cables and disconnected the grid heaters. Again, truck ran very smooth. About a week later, I started noticing some issues, but it didn't set on as quickly as before, probably because I disconnected the grids this time. It's been almost 3 weeks since I did a reset, and the throttle is back to being crappy. 

Question(s)

If I'm having these issues now, is a timbo gonna do any good? It seems like an ac noise problem, but it test in the tolerable range

If it is a ac  noise issue, then does that mean .03 is to much for certain electronics on these trucks? My guess is the grids kicking on cause a much higher ac noise reading, and even though it's on for a short time, it could be enough over time to cause issues. Not just the grids, bit anytime I have a higher demand from the alternator (start up) it seems to be affecting the throttle in just a  short time after a reset.

This is all guessing, I'm not electrically inclined at all. Any help is appreciated.  Thank you guys

you still have factory apps I would definitely get a Timbo it's here in store on this site. Grid's do cause issues by overloading the alternator, @Mopar1973Man has proved that now beyond shadow of a doubt in my mind. Some members here don't even use them anymore and just plug block heater in, or you can always get an aftermarket alternator that is capable to keep up with demand. Some other mods might be required to do that.

0.03 is where I was almost at before doing round mod, now I'm at 0.018 but .03 should not cause any problems for the most part

• Like 1

• Owner
11 hours ago, Alexio Auditore said:

is a timbo gonna do any good?

Timbo's APPS is the only fully mechanical APPS sensor with NO ELECTRONICS! All mechanical switch and rheostat. No logic electronics for controlling the IVS switches. So yes Timbos is a huge improvement over a a stock APPS or a Wells APPS.

11 hours ago, Alexio Auditore said:

It seems like an ac noise problem, but it test in the tolerable range

Might still be a bad alternator diode or brush pack. I would look into doing the gorund wire mod for the system that @W-T posted in the articles. If that's confusing then my version of W-T article is on the second page (simplified).

• Like 1

Sounds good. So even if I am having some ac issues with throttle where its messing with the signal, the mechanical timbo will pretty much take care of that and it wont be an issue then?I mean that I wont have to keep re learning the throttle position for the ecm every couple weeks?