• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Back to this topic again. I put plow prep coils/extra capacity coils on my truck a while back, thinking I was going to put a ranch hand bumper on and $1200 for a bumper just isn't in the budget anytime soon. Plow prep coils are just too stiff and too tall, I'm either putting my stock coils back on or putting some new coils from NAPA or Rock Auto on. Has anyone replaced their coils with new stock height coils? 

I'm trying to achieve a smoother ride. Truck is mostly a weekend warrior and not loaded heavy. NAPA has some for single cabs and extended cabs and I'm thinking of getting the single cabs for the reduced spring rate. I'm also running Ranch monotubes shocks which are pretty stiff. May get some Monro reflexes. Any input?

# Coil Spring Coils

Coil Spring Free Height 18.09"
Coil Spring I.D. Conical
Coil Spring Load Height 16"
Coil Spring Type 1 Tangential End; 1 Square End
Design Load 807
Spring Rate 423
UNSPSC 31161903
Wire Diameter .843

# Coil Spring Coils 7.48
Coil Spring Free Height 17.78"
Coil Spring I.D. Conical
Coil Spring Load Height 16"
Coil Spring Type 1 Tangential End; 1 Square End
Design Load 648
Spring Rate 400
UNSPSC 31161903
Wire Diameter .828"

I wanted a ranch hand bumper also, but couldn’t afford it. Was always looking for a used one, but they were pricey too. Finally ran into a guy who wanted a stock bumper, so traded him my stock bumper and 300 bucks. Bumper isn’t new, but they don’t really wear out. @CTcummins24V where did you get your plow springs?

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

There is a design reason why Dodge created two different springs also have to look at the front axle weight. Now there is much more to the geometry of the front axle. I'd say go back to factor springs and get some quality shocks and be done.

Aye.

7 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

I wanted a ranch hand bumper also, but couldn’t afford it. Was always looking for a used one, but they were pricey too. Finally ran into a guy who wanted a stock bumper, so traded him my stock bumper and 300 bucks. Bumper isn’t new, but they don’t really wear out. @CTcummins24V where did you get your plow springs?

Rockauto. Every suspension site has them, increased capacity weight and height.

• 2 weeks later...

I have plow springs under my truck with a hand-made bumper about 200 pounds worth, it's a bit rougher than before but not much I'm used to it now. Maybe without the extra waight it would have been worse. I did like it with the few times I used a winch on the front, truck squats a little and then it's like a rock.