• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mixing Grease

• Staff

I put marine grease in my grease gun to grease a clients water wheel bearings. Is it contaminated now so that I need to clean out my grease gun before using my regular BJ and tie rod grease? 

Any answers related to chicken grease will be disregarded . :lmao:

Thanks in advance

"Marine" grease just a little bit more water and corrosion stuff if I recall right.  It's the "base" material you might have problems with if mixed.  If both lithium based no worries.  National grease and lube has good faq on there site, if you can't sleep.  Base material and dropping degrees are the biggies imo.  

?? I wonder if chicken grease varies in viscosity if chicken raised cage free or not.  

• Haha 1

• Staff

Mixing greases of the same or compatible base is no problem.   If the grease base is not compatible then the lubricant oil can sperate or give no protection at all.  When I can't determine what the grease base is I'll clean all the old grease off then apply new quality grease.. 

This is a compatibility chart for grease bases.  The problem I run into is a lot of manufactures don't list the base type on the packaging.

1837742048_grease-compatibility-chart1.jpg.aa97b3ca8735102602afae4933c86815.jpg 

• Thanks 1

• Staff

So I won't loose sleep by cleaning it out, that's what is best at this point. There is a lot of them incompatible on IBMobiles' chart.

Like what Katoom said, I've only heard about those two types as well. So it is surprising to see the chart with about 40-50 percent of them incompatible.