• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is it me, or do I see more Duramaxes running away than other diesel vehicles??

15 minutes ago, trreed said:

Various places.  Infinite Performance offers one I think.  Maybe Stainless Diesel or Schied.

For $700 I think I'll opt for the nice PacBrake one thats only $100 more and a lot cleaner.

10 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

The 6.7 ISB engines have a throttle valve inline in the CAC tube on the intake side of engine. Its main purpose is to shut causing engine to run purely on EGR air during Regen to create more heat. It electronically controlled and possibly could be rigged to shut with the flip of a switch.

But the only down side of that is engine could still get air through the EGR. Plus I've seen a few run away common rails run backwards to where the exhaust becomes the intake and vise versa. That'll plug an air filter quick.

Won't have to worry about that, our '12 is getting a full delete soon!

But are you really worried so much about your pickup running away that you'd spend $800 on something you would most likely never use?  Just check your turbo for leaks every once in a while and you'll be fine.

1 minute ago, trreed said:

But are you really worried so much about your pickup running away that you'd spend $800 on something you would most likely never use?  Just check your turbo for leaks every once in a while and you'll be fine.

Better to have it when it happens rather when you're standing outside watching your pride and joy blow up. If it comes down to it and it saves my $2k+ motor, I think its worth it.

I've had a turbo leaking oil so bad it blew boots off at 5 psi, and never had the pickup even think about running away when I shut it off.  If it's not gonna run away then, probably the only time it would, would be if you had excessive crank case pressure and worn rings.  But by then your $2k motor is toast anyways so.

Edited by trreed

Guest 04Mach1
7 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

For $700 I think I'll opt for the nice PacBrake one thats only $100 more and a lot cleaner.

Won't have to worry about that, our '12 is getting a full delete soon!

Deleted is the only way to go. Won't fix the fuel system but will definitely prevent catastrophic engine failure.

2 minutes ago, trreed said:

I've had a turbo leaking oil so bad it blew boots off at 5 psi, and never had the pickup even think about running away when I shut it off.  If it's not gonna run away then, probably the only time it would, would be if you had excessive crank case pressure and worn rings.  But by then your $2k motor is toast anyways so.

Yeah you're right.

1 minute ago, 04Mach1 said:

Deleted is the only way to go. Won't fix the fuel system but will definitely prevent catastrophic engine failure.

Delete and HP tuned by yours truly :thumb1:

27 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Thanks Great White, well... if the turbo bad enough to leak it may not matter. Then again, no oil means it may throw bearing pieces in the intake. Is that what you mean?

Yeah, but from what I've heard, and take this with a grain of salt, but I think Holsets are self contained and if they do go they won't send fragments, but I'm not sure on that, just is what I've heard. But yes if you wanna just sieze it that's a good option. Never thought that if it was that bad might as let it die. Another excuse to go bigger!

Just now, trreed said:

That is absolutely not true.  Holsets will throw shrapnel if they let go.  Starving a turbo of oil to seize it is also a bad idea.   

Oh my bad, I was just relaying what I had heard, and that's what I was thinking I'd rather starve the air.

Guest 04Mach1

Here's a little video of the Detroit DD15 first start after the complete out of frame rebuild. This is where those injectors I posted came from. It's got all the emissions controls. DPF, EGR, and SCR using DEF.

7 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

Here's a little video of the Detroit DD15 first start after the complete out of frame rebuild. This is where those injectors I posted came from. It's got all the emissions controls. DPF, EGR, and SCR using DEF.

What is SCR?

Guest 04Mach1
20 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

What is SCR?

Selective Catalyst Reduction. Uses DEF for a chemical reaction to reduce NOx output. SCR and DEF was mandatory with EPA13 emissions regulations for diesel engines. Probably didn't see it until late 2013 or early 2014 Ram trucks with Cummins engines. Emissions go by year of engine and not year of truck for diesel engines which is why you see glider kits so popular with OTR drivers. A glider is sold without an engine or transmission then you install the power train of your choice.

5 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

Selective Catalyst Reduction. Uses DEF for a chemical reaction to reduce NOx output. SCR and DEF was mandatory with EPA13 emissions regulations for diesel engines. Probably didn't see it until late 2013 or early 2014 Ram trucks with Cummins engines. Emissions go by year of engine and not year of truck for diesel engines which is why you see glider kits so popular with OTR drivers. A glider is sold without an engine or transmission then you install the power train of your choice.

I don't know what a glider is but I'mma just nod my head and say ok :)

Guest 04Mach1
20 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

I don't know what a glider is but I'mma just nod my head and say ok :)

Freightliner, Kenworth, and Peterbilt all sell what is called a glider kit. A glider is a cab and chassis built anyway you'd like it without the engine, transmission, and differentials. You then can install any engine, transmission, and differentials you want even if said engine is a mechanical Cummins from 30 years ago. You have a brand new luxurious truck without all the wallet draining emissions bologna. Unfortunately glider kits are only available to the class 8 rigs.

Click to learn more

1 hour ago, 04Mach1 said:

Freightliner, Kenworth, and Peterbilt all sell what is called a glider kit. A glider is a cab and chassis built anyway you'd like it without the engine, transmission, and differentials. You then can install any engine, transmission, and differentials you want even if said engine is a mechanical Cummins from 30 years ago. You have a brand new luxurious truck without all the wallet draining emissions bologna. Unfortunately glider kits are only available to the class 8 rigs.

Click to learn more

I find that kinda interesting that you could buy, say, an N14 on a glider kit like you're describing.

Guest 04Mach1

Yep. Gliders are quite popular with the guys that don't haul freight in California. CARB frowns upon gliders.