• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coils and Suspension

Sorry for posting yet another thread.Thinking since my shop is in truck, might get the suspension upgraded as this will be our daily driver soon should the engine/valves/head etc check out.Thinking new front Thuren coils (0-2") , and bilstein front and rear shocks.Think the coils are around $300 and the shocks around the same for all four. So $600 and then labour.What kind of difference would that make to a stock ride - I have NO idea. How noticeable ?

• Staff

The coils are stiff to provide the stability needed for the GCWR; so a better riding coil wont preform as well with a load. That being said, my front springs don't seem to squat. I have seen the truck with the front axle within 100lbs of GAWR and its damn near the same height as at curb weight.. Has to be a little room to go softer in there?

• Like 1

I'd say the only way to get what you want is to get a smooth riding coil that will be weak, then get air bags to compensate. That's what all the chevy drivers have to do, why do you think they ride like cadillacs and hit the bottom outs when you hook up your jet ski trailer.

• Like 1

Guys got a point... The Dodge Suspension is rough riding empty... But you put a trailer and/or a load in the bed you got a new animal. Mine feels like a old Cadilac with washed out shock when loaded. But take my truck empty up a forestry road and you'll get beat to death... :lol:

i notice the same thing hauling our moving trailer....the smoothest ride at 75 mph that i've driven in months!:stuned:

ha ha ha ha

that made my day

:thumbup2:

The wife wants a better riding truck - so was thinking coils and new shocks bets way to go .......... no money left for rear leafs (but they seam to hold the 9000 lbs pretty well). I know you can do traction and other upgrades as well - but too much $$.

Sounds like most of you reckon I could put that $1k to better use elsewhere - will take that on board ..........

---------- Post added 07-20-2010 at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-19-2010 at 10:50 AM ----------

Ok - so if I am not going to spend the $1000 on colis/suspension

any other ideas ???

How about a few hundred pound sandbags in back so I can still have clearance for my 5th wheel ????

dumb ?? or ??

http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

Can create 200lb bags for like $10.

Years ago there was a guy over on DTR.com that poured a 3" inch thick concrete slab in the bed of his turck... Now if you want to talk about weird ideas that one... :ahhh:

ha - thats 1 step away from your pics of a redneck pool :)

Well I went with the COILS (thuren 2nd gen 2" front lift) and 4x bilstein 5100

Researched a bunch of options - and this seemed to be best bang for buck from peoples experiences. Rear leafs were what Don recommended as bets way to go - but it degrades the towing capacity by %15 and costs a reasonable penny.

Liked the idea of airbags - but didn't want to mess with that myself - and couldn't be bothered to trying to find an installer.

Will update on any differences good or bad with the ride when I get it back - 1-2 weeks.

John

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

does the air set up take place of the shocks?

These were the air system I had a brief look at

http://shop.airliftcompany.com/product/290468/80765/_/Air_Lift_1000%3B_Coil_Spring

They ride 'above' the leafs in the rear

in front ..... I think it goes inside of the coil

here's a video link (it shows rear - but same for front I think)

about 5min 35" sec into the video

http://www.airliftcompany.com/installation_videos.php

:thumbup2:

May or maynot be the answer but I just put on some rancho 9000 adjustables, set fronts on 5 and rears on 2. Its a night and day difference. Rides like I am fully loaded empty and when I do hook up or load bed up I just reach up under bed and turn the rears up and maintain ride quality. Extremely satisfied and rancho still has their promo of 100 bucks back on four so the grand total for all four corners was just over 200. Cant beat that.

• Like 1

Man $200 ? Shipped ? thats a good price. Mine were $285 shipped. Still - hoping they make the difference. I did look at the ranchos but couldn't find many reviews about them on our 2nd gen - so took the safe/girls route and went the 5100's.Glad they are working - I like the adjustable feature.

Yeah, the price was the deciding factor for me between 5100's or 9000's. Everyone raves about the bilsteins so I am sure they are a great shock but with most of my driving being unloaded I wanted the ability to soften up the rear end a bit. Love em so far, and it even quieted my prego wife about riding in my rig. :cookoo::lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,The Carli Coils are suppose to ride really nice and still have the same load rating. They are a progressive spring so after they get weighted to a point, them bottom out against each other and handle the weight. When light they let the truck glide over bumps and such. That's what I want for mine at least!!!!!:hyper:Later,Winslow

• 4 weeks later...

--update-- well got the truck back. New bilstein 5100's all around, thuren front coils and new ball joints Generally the truck rides smoother - especially over holes/bumps - and I like the small gain in the lift in the front end. From a suspension point of view - would say its around a 10%-15% better in general riding. 20% better over harsher roads etc. So - not sure - I think I probably would have just put in the ball joints and left it at that OR looked into the rear end with the airbag like coyote in retrospect. Not unhappy - just don't think was best bang for $$buck$$. john:thumbup2: