• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla display project

Marcus2000monster

18 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

There are people who have gotten it to work. They usually have to hack into the OS though to allow it to download from the google play store. It is a lot of work frankly. 

-Thanks again, 

Keep us updated on that monitor please! I’m prob gonna stay away from the adrenaline until that comes becuase I don’t like the idea of using a phone. Just my personal opinion. 

34 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

There are people who have gotten it to work. They usually have to hack into the OS though to allow it to download from the google play store. It is a lot of work frankly. 

-Thanks again, 

I don't wanna root a new stereo because of an app.  This is my solution. 

20180924_133747.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well it took me frikken hours to figure out...

But I got my old GS4 phone to bend to my will. :stirthepot:

It will now:

1. Automatically boot up when I start the truck
  2. Auto-launch iquad app on system start
  3. Automatically shut down within 10 seconds of truck key off. 

I still don't like using the damn phone, but at least this is a step in the right direction. and good lord it was a PITA to pull off...If you aren't tech savvy...don't even bother trying to do the above as it involves rooting the device, editing a system file (requires root access) that if done wrong will make it necessary to reboot into recovery and factory reset the phone. (had to do that twice cause I screwed it up the first 2 times :doh:) and then adding a couple special apps to auto start iquad on system boot, and creating a script in an automation app to check every 10 seconds if the power cord is plugged in and delay another 10 seconds if it is, or shut down if it's not. (requires root access)

• Like 1

Still have connection problems with the app...

Half the time it wont connect and will say unable to connect. Spent like 10 minutes closing and re-opening the app yesterday till it finally connected. Seems the app is not quite there yet with error handling and making stable bluetooth connections for all devices. part of the reason a monitor is still better...you only have to code for 1 device rather than try to support thousands of different devices that run the same OS but might do things differently via that OS. 

had the app crash on me plenty of times as well. if you shut the screen off while the app is still connected or change windows to another app and then change back to the quadzilla app, it will crash the quadzilla app. 

• Owner

So far after playing with the Edge Juice and Smarty Touch. Both have TINY screens and very difficult to read when those screens are considerably smaller than my LG G5 cell phone. The other problem I don't like is being I travel to the city anything that is hung in the window becomes target especially if its a tuner. Thieves love to steal your vehicle if they know there are some goodies worth selling on the black market. Edge Juice and Smarty Touch you end up with a fixed monitor in the vehicle and now your truck is a target for being broke into or stolen.

The other problem is suction cup mounts are illegal in many states. Like Smarty Touch is mounted with a suction cup. Edge Juice requires a special a-pillar. I'm using a suction cup mount on my Garmin 42LM and that damn thing falls off the glass quite often. I really hate the idea of suction cup mounts.

Selection_110.png

@jigabop

Also I don't know if you remember or not but there is a 30 second cycle between connection routines.  You are are opening and closing the app over and over to try and get it to connection you might actually be killing the app before it has time to cycle the auto connect function.  

Dunno if that is the case or not but food for thought.

On 9/3/2018 at 2:28 PM, Marcus2000monster said:

I’m working on figuring out a way to use an Android device and have it come on and off with the key switch. I have no clue how to go about this. Any suggestions? I think I have found a way to make it autostart a certain app namely IQuad of course so that part I can work with.... hopefully within a month I can afford a Qaud! 

Use these "destructions" at your own risk. I take no liability or responsibility for you messing up your android device in any way/shape/form, and I suggest you use a device you don't care about as you will likely mess up if you don't follow directions properly and need to factory reset the device and try again. (factory reset wipes all user data, apps, and settings)

Boot up on key-on:

For many devices:

1. verify your phone supports "fastboot" (use google and find out)
  2. Follow the video to get android SDK tools installed on your computer.
  3.  Follow this video to enable boot on charging via "fastboot" 

For (older) Samsung devices:

1. You will need to root your phone/device. I suggest using google to figure out how to do that for your specific device. If you can't figure that out, you probably shouldn't be attempting any of this...
  2. download a root file explorer/manager
  3. navigate to /system/bin
  4. look for a file called "playlpm" or just "lpm"
  5. rename that file to 'playlpm.old' or 'lpm.old' (depending on which one you have)
  6. create a new file called 'playlpm' or 'lpm'
  7. edit the file with a text editor and add the following lines to it:
#!/system/bin/sh
/system/bin/reboot

8. save the file and then modify the permissions of the file (VERY IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!!!!)

chmod 0755 /system/bin/playlpm
chown root.shell /system/bin/playlpm

replace 'playlpm' with just 'lpm' if your original file was 'lpm'

Note the above is changing permissions which you can do via a terminal via those commands, or you can do so via the file browser by changing owner to 'shell' and setting permissions to special none owner full, group read execute, others read execute

If you skip the permissions step your phone will not boot and need factory reset. be very sure you change owner of that new file and set the permissions before you reboot the phone and try it.

If successful: you will see the battery charge icon come on momentarily when you plug in the phone, and then the phone will boot up on its own. 

For automatically starting quadzilla app on boot:

use startup manager or autostart apps and add iquad app to the list.

there are also more powerful root versions of these apps that can stop other apps and services from starting on boot to make load times a little faster...I don't suggest blocking any system services from starting unless you absolutely know 100% what you're doing.

Automatic shut down on key off:

You will need root access for this as there is no other proper way around it.

Download an app called "Automate" by llamalab (free in googleplay) Create a flowchart like so:

1zR6jG7.png

basics of the above chart:

flow beginning: just name it.

when power source plugged: place below flow begining

shutdown: place below above

timer: place to either side and set time to 10-20 seconds

Now connect flow beginning to 'in' on when plugged.

connect when plugged 'no' to shutdown 'in'

connect when plugged 'yes' to timer 'in'

connect timer 'ok' to when plugged 'in'

connect shutdown 'ok' to when plugged 'in'

save it and name it if you haven't already.

start the flow when you are ready to test it.

note you may need to download additional plugins for automate that will automatically grant root access to your flow for the shutdown command. that is also free and it will prompt you.

You will also need to add automate to your automatic startup applications list so this script will start when the system boots.

The script will check every 10 seconds if your device is plugged in or not and shut it down if it is not.

You can change the script how you see fit and make it more complex if you want or have a longer shutdown timer. 

If you need to use the phone not plugged in: just go into automate and stop the script from running and you will be able to unplug your phone without it shutting down on you automatically. Simply restart the script again when you want to resume auto-shutdown functionality. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Great example of the start up problem. I was doing wheel joints today and finished up. I fired up the truck and drove it out the door. Walk back in the shop grabbed my cell phone started the iQuad App and tossed the phone on the armrest. Came back after about 5 mintues and checked it out. iQuad tried one time and failed, never tried again. Shutdown the app and start again. Left the phone on the armrest again. Changed clothes. Came back again after 5-mintues tried once and quit again. Just sits there with all zero'ed gauges. Even though the truck has been running on high idle nearly 10 minutes and can't connect. After 4 more tries it finally decided to hook up and display. 

The only trick that helps a bit not always is make sure the iQuad App is started first before the truck. Even then the app hang up and does its one time try and quits trying. 

I don't know if it works for everyone but here is a perfect spot for me that is in view but doesn't take your eyes off the road or interfere with your field of view.  I attached an otter box (you could use any hard plastic case) to an 8" old tablet.  I used a couple L brackets with spacers so the headliner can go above it and bolted it to the otter box.  I hav a zip tie on it for safety but will probably come up with something else to secure it in the otter box.  Here's a couple pics with it completely installed and with the visor down.  I got a 12v to USB adapter and wired it in my A pillar so it's always charged.  It stops when it's full.  A 90* micro USB helps here so it's not too tight with the a pillar.  If you leave up iquad all you need to do is shut the screen off.  Connects every time I start the truck.  @Quadzilla Power a version of this would be nice for a display. 

20181029_144122.jpg

20181029_144020.jpg

20181029_150655.jpg

5 hours ago, Quadzilla Power said:

That does look really nice. I'm not sure how to do that, but we can look into it. We are just trying to get it out now frankly. Even if it just comes with a suction mount. 

soooo....new monitor coming?

how big?

will it fit in Pulse monitor pillar mounts?

will it do v2 tuning?

is it wired like the old pulse monitors, or will we still have to use the unreliable BT connection?

Yes, 

5"

no

yes

yes

Seriously though, I am going to the developers today to get one "installed" in on of our vehicles. I will try to post a picture when it gets there. It is a good looking 5". Any bigger and it really becomes almost too big for most people, we considered 7" but stuck with 5". The mounting style is going to be compatible with the SCT and Edge style mounts. It will do V2 and legacy tuning. It will be wired up and much more reliable than the BT connection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Quadzilla Power said:

Yes, 

5"

no

yes

yes

Seriously though, I am going to the developers today to get one "installed" in on of our vehicles. I will try to post a picture when it gets there. It is a good looking 5". Any bigger and it really becomes almost too big for most people, we considered 7" but stuck with 5". The mounting style is going to be compatible with the SCT and Edge style mounts. It will do V2 and legacy tuning. It will be wired up and much more reliable than the BT connection. 

i'll make it fit..:stirthepot: 

That aside....you already know i'm down for beta testing. I'll even buy it :thumbup2:

Have had my adrenaline w/pulse (v1) for over 10 years now, (got it back in summer of 2008 not long after the adrenalines first came out) and the iquad for a couple weeks now. so still new to the new tuning...gives a prospective of both an old and new user all in one. 

Can't wait to see what kinda screen ya got cooked up for us! Years in the making!

:popcorn:

Also this time around can I suggest a harness connector to the back of the monitor instead of how the old monitors had the wires directly soldered to the board. Just to make it easier to get in and out of the truck if we need to service our A-pillars or remove it to get to something else behind it.