• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Water leaking between body panels

I know this is going to sound weird but..... There is water leaking out between the panels where they are welded together.  It is dripping out right there where those 4 pieces of metal are laying on each other. 

This is directly under the passenger seat.  

Where the heck is the water coming from???  The only thing that makes sense is the AC but not really.....  It does not have any coolant in it....   

I didn't wash the truck, it had not rained, etc etc....  

Stumped in San Diego.  

IMG_20180901_163538951.jpg

I didnt think it could be the heater core as I just got done replacing it (& the AC, hose, seals, etc).  

I just checked & the carpet is wet under the floor mat.  

There is no Glycol smell or taste to it, so I dont think the core is leaking.  the heater & AC are working amazing right now.  

I am getting water dripping from under the truck by the front wheel, where it has always done it, I always assumed it was the drain for the AC system, but never actually took the time to figure out where it dripped from.  

that & the trans needs to come out again, I think Im just done with this thing.........  tired of it nickle & dime-ing me to death........  

thanks folks, I will probably dig into it this weekend (once Im done pouting...........  LOL).

Bob

1 hour ago, Bobalos said:

I didnt think it could be the heater core as I just got done replacing it (& the AC, hose, seals, etc).  

I just checked & the carpet is wet under the floor mat.  

There is no Glycol smell or taste to it, so I dont think the core is leaking.  the heater & AC are working amazing right now.  

I am getting water dripping from under the truck by the front wheel, where it has always done it, I always assumed it was the drain for the AC system, but never actually took the time to figure out where it dripped from.  

that & the trans needs to come out again, I think Im just done with this thing.........  tired of it nickle & dime-ing me to death........  

thanks folks, I will probably dig into it this weekend (once Im done pouting...........  LOL).

Bob

You most likely just knocked the 90 off of the end of the drain and the wind is blowing back into vehicle. Just add a 90 or a piece of hose like @Dieselfuture advised and the problem will be solved. Had to do that to mine after replacing all of that stuff a few years back. Simple fix.

I didn't get what he was talking about.  I have not had a chance to get up under it with any light out either..... 

IIRC, there is a 90* rubber boot on the bottom of the blower motor, but I dont get the hose by the AC lines thing..... 

thanks

Bob

• Owner

Normally the A/C drain in the HVAC is just a plastic stub poking out if the firewall. Typically the water dribbles back into the cab through the foam rubber seal. As for the water dribbling from the body metal joint is rather odd. Unless the water is pooling under the carpet and draining back through a hole into that area. I would lift the carpet up and check the floor and body metal for damage as well.

When you removed the AC box the 90 most likely got knocjed off. The stub comes thru the fire wall on the right side at the bottom level of the AC box. It is very short and a bit hidden by the insulation. If it fell off the wind is blowing the water back in thru the firewall. You could run the AC while parked and see the water dripping. At least that is what happened with mine. I never noticed the drain while it was out.

folks,

I just went through all of my pictures when I had the box out & dont see any hoses on the box @ all.  makes me think that either Im not understanding or it was has not been there the whole time.  

I did just go & take a few pictures....  

the only place there is a rubber hose on the AC box............  To be honest Im not sure how this does anything, it goes from the box to inside of the motor......  Where is that supposed to drain from/too?  

the only other 2 penetrations, are the Evap hoses & the Heater Hoses.  the Evap hoses have the small 1/8" vacuum line that works its way over to the ported vacuum switch on the dash..... 

thanks again folks........ I think its time for me to make my annual contribution to the site...........  

Bob

Blower Motor 1 small, Sept 18.jpg

Evap Hoses at firewall 1 small, Sept 18.jpg

Heater Core Hoses at firewall 1 small, Sept 18.jpg

Looking from inside the engine bay behind the motor on the passenger side firewall.  Look somewhere behind or close to the AC accumulator.  You'll see a 90* bend or a hole in the firewall if the fitting was knocked off.  That is the drain for the HVAC box to drain out the condensation from the AC evaporator, and also whatever water finds its way in the cowl from rain or washing.

• Owner

Blower Motor 1 small, Sept 18.jpg

That little tube is for ventilation for the blower motor. It to route cool air to the motor winding to help keep them cool. 

Heater Core Hoses at firewall 1 small, Sept 18.jpg

Way too high look much lower. The heater core hose nipples are the top the HVAC case. The drain is near the fold in the metal on the firewall. Below the A/C accumulator and just towards the fender a little. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I crawled up under it a few minutes ago.....  I think I figured out what y'all are talking about.  Not sure how I forgot about this....  I do know why I didn't see it..... It right up on the bottom of the accumulator... 

So if I put a short hose that heads out of the bottom of the truck, that should do the trick.... ?? 

Thanks

Bob

IMG_20180907_171844718.jpg