• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tranny lunges in gear/odd shifts 40mph max

I have a 2001 2500 4x4auto. I recently changed the entire body which was rotted to gas truck body. Went fairly well until I started truck and found out that power steering pump shaft broke? And hydroboost went as well. Fixed both and can steer and stop but now tryed to drive it and when u shift out of park it basically jumps into R or D depends on what u select,seems like brakes almost don't want to hold truck back,try to accelerate and truck moves then slows down then shifts then revs then shifts and 40 is highest it will go will Erving high?please help truck drove beautifully before changing bodies. I'm new to site so please excuse the way I described this problem,thank you

The engine overpowering the brakes is a tell-tale sign of a seized torque converter.. I cant imagine why it would have suddenly done that after a body swap though.. As far as the shifting issue i would take a look at the mechanical part of the linkage under the drivers side of the body. I think its got a metal structure/rod thats held in with 3 14mm bolts where the cable turns the linkage and its cotter pinned to the trans and its all weird and unconventional. Any check engine light? It seems like theres an issue with linkage or wiring. Did you miss any plugs on the trans? If i remember right theres one up high thats a pain to get out and the harness is like draped over the top of the trans and up the fire wall.

I never unplugged anything on the tranny and have checked them just to ensure I didn't accidentally hit one,all are intact. Only codes are 0622 and 1765.it had a tq locker switch on it but I removed to help eliminate wiring?maybe something there? Or I also think it has a noise filter on it,it's on the computer on passenger firewall connected to a wire then grounded.

The noise filter I have has what I'm assuming is a resistor/diode under some heat shrink its probably about 3/4 inch around. I disconnected mine after reading that it can bandaid problems until they become serious. I also had a lockup switch but thats what my transmission buddy said was the cause for my torque converter seizing. I think it may have something to do with the fact i had to tow my buddy's fully loaded broken down powerstroke over a mountain with a bone stock trans... anyways thats another story. I ditched the lockup switch too its too much with a billet triple disc.

According to the factory service for a P0622 it says to check for a wire rubbing on the air box or against the manifold by the dipstick tube.

Vehicle Issue P0622 : 0B : GENERATOR FIELD NOT SWITCHING PROPERLY; Mil on : K125 circuit wire possibly rubbing againest the air box bolt, cause a short to ground.;Follow all appropriate diagnostics for the fault that is present. Prior to replacing parts, please review the explanation below in the recommendation field.
System or Component Customer Concern (No DTCs);Instrument Panel / Cluster,Warning / Indicator Lights,Malfunction Indicator Light / MIL / Check Engine Light;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously
Recommendation T125 DB circuit wire possibly rubbing against the air box bolt or the manifold near the dip stick tube causing damage to the PCM
Modification Date
12/07/04 8:31 AM

As for the P1765 i get a whole diagnostic flow chart- Sorry about how jumbled this probably is... I tried to mark it out by line so it makes more sense.

-Symptom:
-P1765-TRANS 12 VOLT SUPPLY RELAY CTRL CIRCUIT

-When Monitored and Set Condition:
-P1765-TRANS 12 VOLT SUPPLY RELAY CTRL CIRCUIT
-When Monitored: Continuously with the key on.
-Set Condition: This code will set if the voltage detected on the Transmission Relay
-Control circuit at the PCM is different than the expected voltage for 3 seconds.
-POSSIBLE CAUSES
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY
INTERMITTENT TRANS 12 VOLT SUPPLY RELAY
GENERATOR SOURCE CIRCUIT OPEN
GENERATOR SOURCE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRANSMISSION RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
PCM - TRANS RELAY
-TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
-1 Turn the ignition on.
With the DRB III, read the PCM DTCs.
Is the Good Trip Counter for P-1765 displayed and equal to 0?
All
Yes ® Go To 2
No ® Go To 9
-2 Turn the ignition on.
With the DRBIIIt, actuate the Transmission Control Relay.
Is the Transmission Control Relay clicking?
All
Yes ® Go To 9
No ® Go To 3
-3 Turn the ignition off.
Remove the Transmission Control Relay from the PDC.
Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.
Install a substitute relay in place of the Transmission Control Relay.
Turn the ignition on.
With the DRBIII, erase trouble codes.
Start the engine.
With the DRBIII, read PCM DTCs.
Does the DRBIII display the P1765 DTC?
All
Yes ® Go To 4
No ® Replace the Transmission Control Relay.
Perform TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1.
TRANSMISSION

TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
-4 Turn the ignition off.
Turn the ignition on.
Using a 12-volt test light connected to ground, check the Generator Source circuit in
the Transmission Control Relay connector.
Does the test light illuminate brightly?
All
Yes ® Go To 5
No ® Repair the generator source circuit for an open.
-5 Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.
Measure the resistance between ground and the Generator Source circuit in the
Transmission Control Relay connector.
Is the resistance above 100k ohms?
All
Yes ® Go To 6
No ® Repair the generator source circuit for a short to ground.
-6 Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the PCM C2 harness connector.
Measure the resistance of the Transmission Control Relay Control circuit between
the Transmission Control Relay connector and the PCM C2 harness connector.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
Yes ® Go To 7
No ® Repair the transmission control relay control circuit for an open.
-7 Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the PCM C2 harness connector.
Measure the resistance between ground and the Transmission Control Relay Control
circuit in the Transmission Control Relay connector.
Is the resistance above 100k ohms?
All
Yes ® Go To 8
No ® Repair the transmission control relay control circuit for a short to
ground.
-8 If there are no possible causes remaining, view repair. All
Repair
Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module in accordance
with the Service Information.
TRANSMISSION
P1765-TRANS 12 VOLT SUPPLY RELAY CTRL CIRCUIT — Continued

TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
-9 At this time, the conditions required to set the DTC are not present.
Note: Use the Freeze Frame Data to help duplicate the conditions that set
the DTC. Pay particular attention to the DTC set conditions, such as, VSS,
MAP, ECT, and Load.
Note: Visually inspect the related wiring harness. Look for any chafed,
pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.
Note: Visually inspect the related wiring harness connectors. Look for
broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
Note: Refer to any technical service bulletins that may apply.
Were any problems found?
All
Yes ® Repair as necessary.
No ® Test Complete

Well I traced all the wiring from alternator to batterie to computer on firewall. No breaks in wire and the aluminum foil thing was already done to alternator wire.all wires and connections were in good shape. The trans relay in main fuze box has a jumper in it so I removed and replaced with a spare relay and no different? I'm lost

Unfortunately I took the 140amp alternator fuze out and unhooked the field wire from back of alternator, started up and put into gear and did the same exact thing except this time truck said check gauges which I believe is from disconnecting the alt? Is it possible I did something wrong in this test? Thank you

• Owner

Nope, you did it right. The check gauges are because of the battery voltage dove under 12.00 volts. So this most likely means there is a problem possibly with the output speed sensor or transmission possibly. You might want to talk to @Dynamic about this issue he should be able to give you more clues.