• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Proper ID of My Axle

Hi folks, I have a 1998.5 24 valve Cummins 2500 RAM. I have inspected the diff covers and their respective tags. I think I have Dana 60 front and rear diffs. I am not 100% sure though.

Front diff cover reads Dana 43600 3 007 Rev Q. 05 30 94. The front diff tag reads 52070148 610719 1 3.54

Yet in my 1998 Factory service manual the axle options are:

216 And 248 RBI Axles (is this 1500 half ton?)

248 and 267 RBI Axles (is this 2500 3/4 ton)

286 RBI Axle. (s this posi-locking rear type?)

9 1/4" Rear axle. (is this 3500 1 Ton size?)

How can I determine which ones I have? My guesses are in brackets. Thanks, Keith

Edited by keithb7

Definitely the fronts in ours are Dana 60s.

Our rears depended on transmission and 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

Automatic 3/4 tons got the Dana  70-2U.  

Standard transmission 3/4 tons and all 1 tons  got the Dana 80.  

Do take this with a grain of salt as some things could have been replaced and sometimes things just don't follow the rules.

It is Highly possible if you clean the webbing towards the drive shaft on the carrier casting, you will see the model number cast there. 

image.png.cf43ecf0d607f5fbd2bbb6fba78524b1.png

HTH

Hag

EDIT:   Dana 60 and Dana 70 use the same rear cover!  don't let that fool you.  Some internal parts are the same (carrier bearing IIRC) but the pinion bearings are different and the ring and pinion are larger IIRC.

Edited by Haggar
added cover similiarity 60/70
  • Thanks 1

Do these have a separate tag that Identifies the gears internally?  The old Dodges and Chryslers did, it was on one of the cover bolts.  My Automatic 2500 has a Dana 80 in it!  I was assuming that the gears were what was in the Vin Sticker.  There is that word!!

Thanks

Michael

That year I believe an auto has a dana 70u , 3.5 axle tubes ,and a manual has a hybrid dana 80 , center section is 80, axle tubes taper from 4" to 3.5 so the dodge drums work , axles shafts are also smaller dia than pure 80

My 99 has a sticker on the underside of the hood , by the latch with info as far as gearing

Should also be a small tag on one of the diff cover bolts

My 99 SRW had a 70u , now it has a dually dana 80  and a cnc flatbed , cab and chas leafs

Only difference I could find in the truck 2500 vs 3500 that year is rear end , and 2500`s come with option of front anti locks , 3500 is was standard