• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

8 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I hate raping my truck in winter, I usually live some fuel in a glass jar outside and if it looks milky or like its gelling I don't even bother starting it, just drive my car.

That when I wish I had a car! I’m the same way. I started my truck when it was -30 and almost wet myself but I couldn’t cuz it was so cold. But she never failed to start this past winter. 

• Haha 2

• Owner

My truck tends to be parked in an unheated garage but since there is plumbing in both garages the temperature typically stays just above freezing. When temperatures outside fall to ZERO then I consider using the block heater. Not to make the truck start easier. It's to heat the garage up slightly to keep the plumbing from freezing. The radiant heat from the block is not wasted then. Very very rare to see temperature here at the house that cold. Now New Meadows, ID yeah it very common to see at least -20*F. Coldest I've seen so far passing through is -30*F. Wild part, is within 1-hour drive the temperature rises again so head from New Meadows, ID to Council, ID and it will rise nearly 20 degrees or more. 

For guys parking outside and attempting to use a block heater is a pure waste when there is blowing cold wind around the engine and heat is wasted to the air outside. Even if you have a tarp shed to keep the wind off the truck will heat much better than heating in the wind. 750w engine heater isn't powerful enough to combat minus temperature weather. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Even when I've got to travel where I go there is no option for plugging the truck in but I've never had any problems with getting started on cold winter days. I might keep the truck in the garage but once I leave anyone guess on how long it will be parked and how cold it might get. This is why I don't depend on the block heater at all. If you do then your just going be like the Ford Powerstroke that have trouble starting at the first sign of cold. 

Guest 04Mach1
1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I hate raping my truck in winter, I usually live some fuel in a glass jar outside and if it looks milky or like its gelling I don't even bother starting it, just drive my car.

At the time all we had in Colorado was the 2001 Dodge Cummins, 1978 Ford F150 4x4, 2004 Mach 1. Since the wife refuses to learn to drive a manual transmission it limited her only mode of transportation to the Dodge. Now she's back to driving the Dodge since the crappy 6T70 transmission in our 2008 Pontiac G6 crapped out again after GM has already rebuilt it about 2 years ago under a recall. Hopefully I'll get time to fix that soon.

8 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

At the time all we had in Colorado was the 2001 Dodge Cummins, 1978 Ford F150 4x4, 2004 Mach 1. Since the wife refuses to learn to drive a manual transmission it limited her only mode of transportation to the Dodge. Now she's back to driving the Dodge since the crappy 6T70 transmission in our 2008 Pontiac G6 crapped out again after GM has already rebuilt it about 2 years ago under a recall. Hopefully I'll get time to fix that soon.

Just get a G8! Lol they are really nice cars

1 minute ago, dripley said:

I drove my friends 01 ford for about a week. It would not start at 35* without being plugged in.

I wouldn’t mind a run down of Ford vs Cummins. Not that I have anything against any other engine but out of curiosity. I work on 7.3s, 6.0s, 6.4s, and 6.7s every day and its rather obvious that they require more $$$ and maintenance than any other Cummins diesel around including common rails. 

• Like 1

Well those two have HEUI injection systems that are a PITA if the IPR sensor screen gets plugged. 95% of the reason a 6.0 won’t start. If a 7.3 won’t start, it’s the cam position sensor 99% of the time 

Edited by trreed