• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

LED lighting - Interior lighting

• Owner

After having to dig through my truck attempting to fix the dome light and the power mirrors. I noticed the light socket was rather burned not melted but that darker burn mark from the heat of the old-school bulbs. I went out to superbrightleds.com and ordered me a new dome light blub and a pair of map light bulbs being winter is coming, daylight saving time will go away and it will be dark in the cab for morning and evening travel. It would be nice to have a bit more light and without burning up the sockets. 

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/921-led-bulb-15-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/910/11267/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/6774/

Let's see how these work out. They should be here by about the 20th of the month. 

The sockets on my headlight switch were the same way. Gray plastic but brown around where the little bulbs fit in. Super Bright had replacement bulbs but thats when the switch started falling apart and I just bought a new switch. I will be interested in how it works out.:popcorn:

• Owner

The LED lights came. Nothing hard to change out the three lights in the truck. The overhead console is a bit of a trick in the garage door side is the clips push them to the front. As you do that you want to pull down slightly and start pushing the entire console back. There is only 4 Phillips screws holding the light assembly in place. Make sure to lube the switch with silicone spray and check your bulb polarity before assembly by just plugging back into power quick. 

DSCF4499.JPG

The switches have probably come apart. If so they can be glued back together. Had to do both of mine about a year and a half go. Not hard to do. I used some gray silicone others have used super glue.

The lenses just flop around when the switches come apart.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dripley said:

The switches have probably come apart. If so they can be glued back together. Had to do both of mine about a year and a half go. Not hard to do. I used some gray silicone others have used super glue.

The lenses just flop around when the switches come apart.

I’ll check it out!  Thanks!

If you are missing all that stuff, there is a harness with new switches you can get on Amazon for $35.  It's for the overhead console without the data display but it can still be used though.  I just cut off the plug and spliced it into my harness, had new switches and sockets.  The only down side is that it's mopar, so most likely the same crummy quality.  I don't use the map lights though other than when they automatically come on so I figure they will last longer and a least my lenses don't rattle anymore.  I also put LED bulbs in mine so I wouldn't have to mess with them at all.

harness.JPG

• Thanks 2

• Owner

Actually, I do use mine quite bit through the winter time. When I'm sitting in the parking lot I can turn on the driver side map light and work on my laptop. Now with the new laptop with LED lit keyboard I can work without any lights at all. 

On 10/22/2018 at 10:00 AM, Sycostang67 said:

The only down side is that it's mopar, so most likely the same crummy quality.

Actually, the trick is to keep the plastic from drying out. If you change out the OEM bulbs and go to LED there is less heat. Then I used silicone spray to hopefully keep the oils in the plastic and getting brittle. 16 years later and mine are still working just fine. Can't be too crummy, can it?

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2018 at 5:16 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Before, stock OE lights

20181016_065135.jpg

After, Super Bright LEDs

20181020_061158.jpg

Mike, did you replace all of the interior cab lights except the dash? What color temp did you use? Any chance you could give a quantity of required bulbs?

Edited by Celtic Clamper