• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Low Air Flow and Smoke/Burning Smell from Vents

Since I bought the truck 5 years ago or so I have been dealing with poor air flow from the heater and A/C.  In fact, it struggles to keep the windshield defrosted, especially with several people in the truck.  Once in a while, usually after start up, I get a faint smell of something burning and I have even had smoke come from the vents a couple of times.  The problem has been getting worse so I finally decided to pull the HVAC box and found what I thought I would.  The evaporator is caked in leaves and other debris.  I looked all over for where the burning was coming from and the only thing that I can see is that the blower resistor was covered in the same debris.  With the resistor broke the conductors on the inside are exposed and I assume that they have been the cause of burning.  There is nothing burnt or charred inside the box. 

How do I keep this stuff from getting inside the box again? 

I ordered a new heather core, evaporator, resistor, and blower since it is getting tough to spin.  It ought to be much better than it was once I get it back together. 

Resistor.jpg

Evaporator.jpg

2 hours ago, dripley said:

Genos, I think, carries a filter you can install over the cowl...

Yes, they do and it is a worthwhile investment.  The filters are washable, as well.   I did my HVAC repairs one year ago and I did not want anything to be able to work its way into the ducts. 

I also installed a coarse screen over the inlet part of the upper fan housing.   The screen fits around a removable part that can be accessed with the heater fan removed.  If you don't do the Geno's cabin filter, at least add the coarse screen.

- John

• Like 1

I can't believe I waited this long until I pulled the HVAC box and cleaned it up.  It is all back together and it is nighty & day difference.  I was reluctant about pulling the dash back to access everything but it really was pretty straight forward.  The only problem that I ran into was the new blower didn't come with the weather tape inside like the OE blower had.  I didn't realize this until everything was installed and I turned it on.  Without that weather tape, it didn't sit tight and vibrated which made an odd sound.  I pulled it and put in foam striping and it sits great now, no vibration or annoying sounds.