• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What is the estimated service life of a replacement VP44? I've had to replace a replacement after 2 years. I like the truck but I can't support that. Ops

Where did you get the pump from? When I bought the replacement vp44 in my 01, i got it from arkansas fuel injection and they give a lifetime warranty on the pump, at least they did 2 years ago when I bought it, I would look into them and see if they still give a lifetime warranty. I'm sure others on here would be thrilled to make the trip to arkansas for a lifetime warranty vp44

I had it done by a local diesel shop, with a one year warranty.

It should have lasted a lot longer than 2 years and 20k miles or whatever it was. I understand what you mean though, it would not be possible to own a truck that you had to dump a grand into every 20k miles. Maybe call the shop and explain what is going on, maybe they will help you out. In this economy, a lot of businesses will go that extra mile if it means keeping a customer. :shrug:

• Owner

I know there is most of us getting into 150K miles to 300K miles from a pump. To have a VP44 fail in under 100K there is something wrong... * No fuel pressure gauge to monitor the lift pump perforamnce.* Allowing the fuel pressure to fail to or below 10 PSI for extended periods.* Poor filter performance. Suggest you use only fleetguard stratpore filters or better.* Poor fuel lubricity. <400 HFRR is Bosch standards and today fuel is ~520 HFRR.* Excessive usage of injection cleaner, cetane boosters, and anti-gel products. Currently at 121K on the VP44 clock and still pulling strong...:thumbup2:

• Staff

I know there is most of us getting into 150K miles to 300K miles from a pump. To have a VP44 fail in under 100K there is something wrong... * No fuel pressure gauge to monitor the lift pump perforamnce. * Allowing the fuel pressure to fail to or below 10 PSI for extended periods. * Poor filter performance. Suggest you use only fleetguard stratpore filters or better. * Poor fuel lubricity. <400 HFRR is Bosch standards and today fuel is ~520 HFRR. * Excessive usage of injection cleaner, cetane boosters, and anti-gel products. Currently at 121K on the VP44 clock and still pulling strong...:thumbup2:

Those were my initial thoughts as well.. What are you running for a lift pump?

• Owner

Well any lift pump will protect a VP44 from failing but how often you you want to toss money out replacing the lift pump? Even a stock carter lift pump will work with a big line kit but I was replacing them about twice a year from failure. The only 2 that are standing out in the crowd right now and lasting long times is AirDog and FASS. But they cost considerably more with a lifetime warranty.

• Staff

I think the new FASS Platinum is great for folks that want a reliable pump, a little more flow and better filtration. The single filter on the Platinum offers better filtration than both filters on the AD and FASS combined, and its cheaper.. about the price of a Raptor or HPFP.I haven't heard much about the DDRP, but would suspect its decent on a bone stock truck...

Since i didn't do a sig net, here's my fuel system:Holley Black on the frame rail, stock lines and filter, ISSPRO pressure guage with snubber, 15 psi idle, 11PSI at WOT at 3k rpm. I use two stroke oil at 1 oz per gallon, 50/50 mix of 2 stroke and PS in the winter.I ten to baby this truck, so it's not like I run the hell out of it. Ops

• Staff

Since i didn't do a sig net, here's my fuel system: Holley Black on the frame rail, stock lines and filter, ISSPRO pressure guage with snubber, 15 psi idle, 11PSI at WOT at 3k rpm. I use two stroke oil at 1 oz per gallon, 50/50 mix of 2 stroke and PS in the winter. I ten to baby this truck, so it's not like I run the hell out of it. Ops

Well crap, your doing everything right. What filter are you using in the OE housing?

It's the older 33585, if there is a better one I'll get it.The replacement that failed in a year failed a component on the electronics board, I think it was an 0570? it meant tht the rpm sensor in the IP didn't agree with the crank sensor rpm. I'd swap it for a VE pump if it would bolt up.Ops