• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

9004 to 9007

• Staff
8 hours ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Anyone try some of the high wattage hella bulbs?

I've been using them, 12V 100/80watt 9104 blub, for the last 15 years with no problem to either the lamp assembly, the wiring, the fuse, or the head light switch.   I like using them on low beam with the driving lights on.  When on high the light seems to be a flood light and not a spot beam.  The brand I have is Flosser. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 10:54 AM, IBMobile said:

Every thing is factory.  I just removed the 9004 blubs and installed the 9104 blubs.  This is the easiest and most inexpensive up grade you can do.

Can I ask what the difference is between the 9004 and the 9104?

I actually thought it was a typo at first.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically 9004 bulbs are 55/60w

I believe a standard 9004 bulb is 45/65 watts.  I never thought that a non-relayed headlight circuit accompanied with long runs of undersized wiring and topped off with a super powerful 45 watt low beam bulb was a very bright idea to light up the road.

- John

Edited by Tractorman

• Staff

Technical bulletin:  9004 & 9007 blubs  

"The 9004 (HB1) bulb, introduced in 1983, was the first halogen replaceable headlight bulb available for use in North America. It uses 12 Volts, has a 45 Watt low beam filament producing 700 lumens, and a 65 Watt high beam filament producing 1200 lumens. These filaments are transverse—if you hold the bulb upright, they run across the bulb from side to side. "

What's 5 watts up or down the blub still sucks.

• Thanks 1

I've always used the 50% brighter bulbs in my truck. But now I wonder how those work.

It is ironic that my truck I can feel my headlight switch get warm, although I think that's because I have the instrument panel lights so dim, so it's easier to see at night. If I turn the brightness up in the daytime the Seth doesn't get so hot.

• Owner
3 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

can feel my headlight switch get warm, although I think that's because I have the instrument panel lights so dim, so it's easier to see at night. If I turn the brightness up in the daytime the Seth doesn't get so hot.

Change all your panel light out to LEDs. This will get rid of the heat. As you cut the voltage making it dimmer you're increasing the amperage and the heat begins. Wattage load never changed. 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Change all your panel light out to LEDs. This will get rid of the heat. As you cut the voltage making it dimmer you're increasing the amperage and the heat begins. Wattage load never changed. 

Ah so is that because of the draw thought the switch? I noticed this started after installing my gauges.