• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Water in floor of cab

Noticed this when I was changing out my carpet for a new carpet, water everywhere, everything is sopping wet and I had no idea! Where could this be from? It isn't antifreeze, just water. Probably something to do with the a/c system. Maybe this is why my truck fogs up on the inside so badly. :ahhh: Please help so I can get back on the road!! THANKS!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

OH also was thrilled to death to notice the shifter boot is torn... Is this serviceable or does Dodge sell this as part of the nv5600 only? hahaha, kidding. But seriously, how much would one of these be? I am glad I noticed this, no telling how much dirt and crap is in my tranny.

Posted Image

Noticed this when I was changing out my carpet for a new carpet, water everywhere, everything is sopping wet and I had no idea! Where could this be from? It isn't antifreeze, just water. Probably something to do with the a/c system. Maybe this is why my truck fogs up on the inside so badly. :ahhh: Please help so I can get back on the road!! THANKS!!!

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

OH also was thrilled to death to notice the shifter boot is torn... Is this serviceable or does Dodge sell this as part of the nv5600 only? hahaha, kidding. But seriously, how much would one of these be? I am glad I noticed this, no telling how much dirt and crap is in my tranny.

Start with the AC drain tube on the firewall. It's most likely clogged up with leaves and debris. My '96 had this issue. I cleaned the pine needles and funk out of it, and was good to go from there..

As for the shifter seal, I got my nv4500 shifter seal from quad4x4.com.. they may have it for the 5600, as well.

Start with the AC drain tube on the firewall. It's most likely clogged up with leaves and debris. My '96 had this issue. I cleaned the pine needles and funk out of it, and was good to go from there..

As for the shifter seal, I got my nv4500 shifter seal from quad4x4.com.. they may have it for the 5600, as well.

How would I check that? I looked around and couldn't find anything tube like... Do I pull the cowl grille?

Thanks, I will check with them. :thumbup2:

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Is that it?

Posted Image

That looks like it.

If its not a/c condensation its probably a bad door/window seal.

Thanks!! Well here is what I came up with...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spa pipe fixes everything...

I think what was happening was because there was no drain tube, the water simply lapped over the end of that and went into the cabin past the o-ring... I THINK that is what was happening, because it wasn't clogged. I was able to pull air through it with a shop vac. SOO we'll see if that fixes it.

that's it.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

since you have the carpet pulled back, I'd dry the floor, firewall, and adjacent panels off, then sprinkle talcum powder around the vertical walls, whip out the water hose, close the truck up, and soak the truck down..

You can then check the powdered areas for water trails where (if the leak was elsewhere) it's running in at..

(old VW trick from back in the day, since they tended to leak like a screen door.)

OH, and make SURE there are no vertical rises in your newly added tubing, else the water will back up in the tube, and cause the issue all over again..

:thumbup2:

• Like 2

Also, the shift boot, I think I will just have to order a new shift tower...... 125 bucks on quad 4x4 for anyone needing the same thing. I guess I will just go change the synchromesh and clean the boot I got currently real good, then use a lot of plastic wrap and rubber bands for the time being I guess....

just kinda curious how do you clean the syncro mesh .....reason i ask is i notice a little grind when shifting into third gear and i am wondering if maybe there is an inexpensive way to fix this grinding

All I know to do is to go ahead and do a fluid change, the stuff that you put in these in Pennzoil synchromesh or some stuff from the dodge house. That third gear grind you are getting is your 3rd gear synchronizer is worn out.... Only going to get worse, try to double clutch or skip third if you got a 6 speed... I know a place in okc, ok that will go through a 6 speed for 1,000.

put a extension tube on my a/c drain about a month ago, same problem pass floor always wet mine dried right up it wasent clogged just blew back in mine drips alot which is good because my wise uncle gave me one of those catch lines that has sold more a/c jobs than i can remember and now i will share it with yall (YOU CANT BE COOL WHEN YOUR SWEATING) :thumb1:

• Like 1

New carpet is in, now all I need is a new wood grain dash bezel haha. Anyways, thanks for the help. Figure I would post pictures of the finished product. :thumb1:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Next project is pulling the engine and cleaning all the nasty undercarraige and frame from all the puke bottle (I will be fixing that with the mopar1973man reroute) and getting the tranny checked out and new synchros and bearings while it is apart. And giving the motor a nice detailing and several coats of Cummins Apex Red paint.

wish i had a 6 speed stick in the center of my floor:thumb1:

I think I would actually like to find an auto truck like this one, but 4x4... 6 speed is pretty cool, and I like that it seems pretty heavy duty and stuff, but golly gee, it seems like it might be an expensive beast to keep up with, with all the problems I hear about on the forums. Like the old boy on here that had his blow up on him...

it seems like it might be an expensive beast to keep up with, with all the problems I hear about on the forums. Like the old boy on here that had his blow up on him...

just remember that the folk on the forums are there because they have trouble...you don't typically go to forums on truck repair/maintenance unless you've had a problem or 2. the people that have never had a problem are usually not around or posting.:smart:
  • Like 1

well they all have problems i think, you just have to justify repairs with usage, my personal opinion the engine is great, the trans is marginal 6 speed or auto, and the truck falls apart. but a mill. miles is not unresonable so its a long term investment. my truck is the only vehicle i wont sell and i go through a lot of them.

• Like 1

just remember that the folk on the forums are there because they have trouble...you don't typically go to forums on truck repair/maintenance unless you've had a problem or 2. the people that have never had a problem are usually not around or posting.:smart:

True.... :thumb1:

well they all have problems i think, you just have to justify repairs with usage, my personal opinion the engine is great, the trans is marginal 6 speed or auto, and the truck falls apart. but a mill. miles is not unresonable so its a long term investment. my truck is the only vehicle i wont sell and i go through a lot of them.

That is a fact!!! They all do, this one is the best generation though for long term in my opinion... Which is why I have it... I just went through $6,800 dollars in repairs on my 2005 Duramax.... Injectors went out, then one of the replacements went and melted a piston.... SO bottom line is I have done my research first hand with all the different diesel trucks, 03 6.0 ford blew up on me, 05 duramax too... These are the great trucks, no more complaints from me!

• Staff

just kinda curious how do you clean the syncro mesh .....reason i ask is i notice a little grind when shifting into third gear and i am wondering if maybe there is an inexpensive way to fix this grinding

The Amsoil MTF fluid makes my NV5600 shift super smooth, when its really cold it takes a minute to warm-up for a smooth 2-3, but it was worse on OE fluid.