• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Doesn't want to shift out of 1st.

hey man a quick suggestion, you need to give a little more info about what you drive and maybe what youve done to diagnoise the situation before you get many responses but good luck if i can give some help youll hear from me soon:smart:

hey man a quick suggestion, you need to give a little more info about what you drive and maybe what youve done to diagnoise the situation before you get many responses but good luck if i can give some help youll hear from me soon:smart:

2001 dodge ram I changed the TV but it didn.t help. It won't shift out of 1st. unless you feather the throttle.

well at 01 you have a second gen. truck not a common rail, this post is in the wrong spot but oh well, does the tv cable spring back in when disconnected from the throttle, does it have a ck eng. light on, i know this ones stupid but is it full of fluid?

• Owner

I would check the error codes and fluid condition as Koyote suggested...

Well just reading over the Dodge FSM quick...

HAS FIRST/REVERSE ONLY (NO 1-2 OR 2-3 UPSHIFT)

1. Governor Circuit Electrical Fault.

2. Valve Body Malfunction.

3. Front Servo/Kickdown Band Damaged/Burned.

SHIFTS DELAYED OR ERRATIC (SHIFTS ALSO HARSH AT TIMES)

1. Fluid Level Low/High.

2. Fluid Filter Clogged.

3. Throttle Linkage Mis-adjusted.

4. Throttle Linkage Binding.

5. Gearshift Linkage/Cable Mis-adjusted.

6. Clutch or Servo Failure.

7. Governor Circuit Electrical Fault.

8. Front Band Mis-adjusted.

9. Pump Suction Passage Leak.

well at 01 you have a second gen. truck not a common rail, this post is in the wrong spot but oh well, does the tv cable spring back in when disconnected from the throttle, does it have a ck eng. light on, i know this ones stupid but is it full of fluid?

No codes I'll check the spring tomorrow. The fluid level was down one qt. I didn't want to put any in till I figure out what I'm going to do with it.

• Staff

No codes I'll check the spring tomorrow. The fluid level was down one qt. I didn't want to put any in till I figure out what I'm going to do with it.

I would put fluid in it for 2 reasons. 1 it may be your problem, and 2 it could do other damage. Start with fluid and go from there.

you need to check the condition of the fluid, it should be a pretty deep red color with no grit, a brownish tint to the fluid is bad news signs of overheating and clutch slip this will signify mechanical issues. if you got some gung ho you could try adjusting the bands on the tranny one is external the other internal(have to drop the pan) good time for a filter change and youll see how much clutch material is in the pan. if you go this route i can pull and post instructions for band adjustments or someone will throw it out there before me.

• 5 months later...

mine did that . 47re. would not shift out of 1 uless you would build up speed and then back off of the throttle, then it would shift to 2 and right on up normal. but i noticed i had no manual shift , and if in drive, pulled into second, it would free wheel. on decel. if i made if shift as decribed above, when pulling in second you could let off the throttle and it would hold back in second, i drove it for months, and oneday pulled the valve body and found spring broken in the one two shift valve. replace spring and it was ok. i guess the governer pressure had to override the first gear pressure to make it shift. would always shift and stay i second if you were at 25 mph anything below would shift when you let up and then go back to first when you came back on the throttle. let me know what you find.