• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front driveshaft woes

• Owner

Depends on the transmission for length. 

Remanufactured; 32-13/16" Long Driveshaft Info  One of our most popular parts
Front; Manual trans.; Trans. code NV5600; with Dana Model 60 Axle; with NV241HD Transfer Case

Remanufactured; 28-9/16" Long Driveshaft Info  One of our most popular parts
Front; Standard Cab Pickup; Automatic trans.; Trans. code 47RE; with Dana Model 60 Axle; with NV241LD Transfer Case

Front; Automatic trans.; Compressed Length of 28-9/16 in. measured from centerline of U-Joint located at the slip yoke end to the centerline of the furthest U-Joint on the opposite end, With NP241DLD transfer case, 1330 U-joint at differential yoke, 1.063 in. cap diameter

Front; Automatic trans.; Compressed Length of 29-1/8 in. measured from centerline of U-Joint located at the slip yoke end to the centerline of the furthest U-Joint on the opposite end, With NP241DHD transfer case, 7290 U-joint at differential yoke, 1.125 in. cap diameter with inside snap rings

Front; Manual trans.; 5 speed trans.; Trans. code NV4500HD; Compressed Length of 27-9/16 in. measured from centerline of U-Joint located at the slip yoke end to the centerline of the furthest U-Joint on the opposite end, 1330 U-joint at differential yoke, 1.063 in. cap diameter; New Venture trans.

Front; Manual trans.; 6 speed trans.; Trans. code NV5600; Compressed Length of 32-13/16 in. measured from centerline of U-Joint located at the slip yoke end to the centerline of the furthest U-Joint on the opposite end, 1330 U-Joint at differential yoke, 1.063 in. cap diameter; New Venture trans.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I went with the Autozone (Cardone I think) front driveshaft. Big Mistake. Lasted 2 years and took out a 2 year old transfer case when it came apart. Got my money back and went with Dennysdriveshaft.com they use Dana, Neapco, Sonnax, or Mark Williams slip yokes. Easy instructions on how to measure. It will cost $466 to $496 depending on options. 

Hope that helps

All mine got chewed up and I found more dents in the main body, so I ordered one from Tom Woods Driveshaft out of Ogden, Utah. $584 with two day shipping, and it's 3/4-1 ton rated. Also warrantied. 

We use 729 style ujoints for the front shaft right? 

14 hours ago, Ravewolf said:

All mine got chewed up and I found more dents in the main body, so I ordered one from Tom Woods Driveshaft out of Ogden, Utah. $584 with two day shipping, and it's 3/4-1 ton rated. Also warrantied. 

We use 729 style ujoints for the front shaft right? 

Holy cow you can get one from Inland truck for 250. I’m not sure if that’s brand new or rebuilt. Rebuilt is basically new though. I rebuilt my brothers 08 3500 driveline. Just got make sure no needle bearings in that card an ball or u joint caps fall out. I had to take it back apart and redo it because of that. 

Mike, where did you find the dust boot for the ball? Ive found one that seems to be universal to most driveshafts, Spicer 2-86-418. Also im on rock auto and want to use dana spicer greaseable or skf but there are many different part numbers. Are both rear joints in the cardan the same part number?

Edited by 98whitelightnin

• Owner
2 hours ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Mike, where did you find the dust boot for the ball?

:whistle: What dust boot? Never seen one...:shrug:

2 hours ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Are both rear joints in the cardan the same part number?

Should be all 3 u-joints should be the same number for the front shaft.