• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla help

To start off with, I have a 2002 Cummins 6 speed. I've done a few modifications to it, such as 200 hp injectors and compound turbos. I have a 62 over a s475. I've been running the quadzilla for about a year now and have really loved it. I had a edge juice with attitude before and it is almost night and day difference between the two. However, I've been experiencing some bucking issues. I've tried adjusting different settings and just can't seem to get rid of it. It tends to happen in 4th gear and low rpms such as 1000 to 1200 rpm range. It also only does it on acceleration. When it starts doing it, I just back out of the throttle till it stops and then can get right back into it and its fine. I messaged Quadzilla about it and they were saying that it is just because it is too high of a gear and engine load that is causing it. But I never had the issue before with the edge or even stock. I would think it should be able to accelerate smoothly regardless of engine load. Anyways, just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems or if they know how to resolve it. Thank you in advance!

Tried downloading my tune but it didn't work

Daily Driving Tune:

Power Levels - 6

RPM Limit - 3200

Fuel Stretch - 1500

TPS Max - 100%

TPS Min - 0%

Min Pump Tap Fueling Percentage - 3%

Low Boost Scale - 10 PSI

Boost Scaling - 40 PSI

Max Load Timing Offset - 2.0

Low PSI Timing Reduct - 2.0

Timing Reduct Scaling - 100%

Light Throttle Timing Adv - 2.0

Light Throttle Load Limit - 30%

Timing - 16, 18, 23, 25, 26

Sounds like the ecm and quad fighting for control.  The quad doesn't take over until that 1000 rpm mark.   

Post a datalog of the issue.   It could also be too much timing.

When's the last time you updated the box under the hood?   

Hmmm, interesting. I was kind of wondering if it was a timing issue, but just wasn't sure. I will try to get a data log tomorrow. I haven't updated the box. Wasn't really sure how to go about doing that. Does it update through the app? Also, would anything with the canbus fueling affect the bucking problem?

Ok, I got a data log, but it isn't near as noticeable as what it could be. I had one time that it really started bucking but I accidentally closed my app :doh: So there are a few times that it did it to me, but nothing like what it could be. Also, I have my canbus set to start at 81.

iQuad-2019-03-07-09.49.30.csv

Edited by cummins59diesel

Why is your map sensor only reading 0 psi all the time?  Do you ever see boost come above 0 psi?

The quad is not getting the inputs it needs to fuel at all.  That's likely your issue.    

you should also update the box under the hood.  The flash is from 2017.  There are big improvements since that point.  

Edited by Me78569

I changed my map sensor when I first got the quadzilla because it wasn't letting it run right. Although I did get it from oreilly's so that might be part of the problem. But I have noticed that it seems to take forever before it starts reading boost. My boost gauge will be reading somewhere around 6-8 psi before the box even recognizes that anything is happening. How do you go about updating the box?

I think it's just part of having larger injectors.  Mine does the same thing in the same rpm range, so I just downshift.  Its also done it with two different base flashes as well, including the most recent V2.7.7HF 

But yes, the MAP reading 0 is a problem that should be addressed.

Edited by trreed

Awesome! Thank you for the help with updating the box! Took a while to get things figured out, but eventually got it updated. Time to put it back in the truck and see how it runs! I will probably get a new map sensor for it as well. Any recommendations on a good place to get one from?

Just got back from a quick test drive and it seems to be running pretty good. Seemed like it still had a little hesitation, but it didn't do what it had before. I guess time will tell with that for sure. I also adjusted my timing to 14, 18, 22, 26, and 27. As for the pin in the box, I did look at that and it was bridging two pins instead of just being on one. So I'm guessing that means its in the right spot for the year that my truck is?

Yep it is bridged right.  

The newer flashes are much smoother handoff of fueling.    However I would want to fix the map not reading until higher psi.  I would get an oem sensor from geno's

as for your timing curve.  Make sure you are maxing out timing up top, you will gain a large amount of power doing so.

I would do 16,19,23,27,30  or something similar to that.  you can use the throttle reduct = 5*  to pull timing down low and offset the 1500 rpm mark

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2

Ok, just purely out of curiosity, how close are map sensors going to be with a boost gauge? Because the one I have starts to read boost somewhere around 6 psi according to my gauge. My data log didn't read anything because I wasn't really pushing my truck very hard. How close should the map sensor be to the boost gauge? I wouldn't doubt that the map sensor is bad being that it is from o'reillys, but am just curious about that.

With the timing, what would you suggest for light throttle advance? I'm guessing you are wanting the timing higher because of the size of the injectors correct? 

My MAP is very close with the mechanical gauge I have.  Within 1-2 PSI when spooling up.  

For the light throttle advance, I initially thought that my 6x0.013's needed a lot of timing advance as well to properly atomize.  However, I found that i'm back in the 19-20* range for cruising.  Follow @Mopar1973Man's guide on seeing how low you can get your engine load.  That'll be your best bet.