• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

B&W Hidden Goose Neck Hitch Installation

Hi,

I want to install a Model 1394 B&W Hidden Gooseneck Hitch pictured under the bed on my truck.

The truck has aftermarket airbags which I did not install and know nothing about.  Former owner had a slide in camper. . 

The brackets on top of air bags interfere with me installing the side rails for the Hitch.

There are 2 bolts on each side of each brackets.

My thoughts were to put 1/4 plates between the brackets to bring them out 1/4" so the Hitch side rails will go behind.

Good/Bad idea?  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Leaky

AirBAG.JPG.d3b30657b7c9373e6e9714a34271a5c2.JPG

HITCH PIC.jpg

I had just the opposite problem,  wanted to put on some air bags and turns out that my turnover ball hitch brackets was in the way.  My recommendation is to call the hitch place and and talk their tech support. To see if they could send you some pic's of what others did.    I was able to find some pictures of what other people have done as a work around the problem.  Googling, there's some pictures and about all of them the people of had to custom weld something.  Problem is trying to get two things to fit in the same spot. B&W has been around for a long time hopefully they can send you some pics of how people work around it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• Like 1

I've included more pictures.  Everyone likes pictures. 

Width of the Ball hitch bracket is 2-3/4".  It appears it will come to the middle of the Air Bag bracket which would be 1-1/2 inch.  I have never had airbags but when I look from the bottom up it is not a straight shot upward.  It leans into the frame. The area it is bolted to is concave.  (The B&W instructions talk to this.)   Is bringing the whole upper bracket out 1/4" that critical to the proper functioning of the air bag?   I'll do whatever and want to be safe.  Thanks. Leaky

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

• Staff

If that bracket is leaning in right now then shimming the upper bag bracket out with the with the hitch bracket and flat stock will make it sit straight or out just a hair.  I'd be looking at where the bolts are for the air bag brackets so as not to interfere with the hitch brackets and the release handle.  

• Like 1

Appreciate feedback.

Truck came with the bags and I have no idea who put them on but pretty sure previous owned had someone else do job.  Airbags are NOT vertical for sure and that did not look right to me.  BUT, this discrepancy could be my saving grace in all this.

BW is OK with “holes” being drilled in the side plates, BUT no welding or cutting. So the Airbag brackets can go over the installed Hitch Side plates. 

Operation of release lever has been a concern.

Plan is to remove the top airbag bracket, and dry fit everything. If it’s good, I’ll shim lower section of airbag bracket with 1/4” flat bar and call it good. 

And to think all I wanted to do was put a Hitch on my truck.  A simple job that shouldn’t take anytime. 

I wish my turnover ball installation was as simple as drilling a hole for an airbag bracket.  I had supports for 5th wheel rails welded to the frame that I had to cut out.  Got a nice scar on one of my knuckles from a death wheel that slipped out of the cut.  

I would agree with the above, and have the side rails of the hitch tight against the frame.  then drill as necessary to get the bags mounted again.

• Like 2