• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Blowing wiper fuses.

My trucks wipers dont work, when you turn the switch it just blows the fuse. I was going to verify its the wiper motor but the wipers are stuck down, and you have to have the passenger arm up to clear the hood so that you can release tension on the arm.

Any tips on gettings these arms off without being able to lift them up and any thoughts on what could be wrong here?

Thanks

If you look on the wiper where it attaches to the shaft there is a little tab that sticks out. It releases the wiper from the shaft but also if you pull it far enough with the wiper lifted a few inches off the glass it will lock in that position and make removal easy. I just found that out doing my head gasket install. I did not realize that until I went to put them back on. You have to have lifted when pulling the tab out for it to lock. I did them with the hood open, not sure if there is enough room wth it closed.

Yes ive take them off before, but that was with the motor working so I could turn it off and on until I got the right angle to clear the hood for the wipers to go all the way up.

How do I go about doing this without being able to turn the wipers on?

That little releae in the picture is also a lock for the pivot and will hold the wiper arm about 3 or 4 inches above the wind shield. No need to raise the arm all the way up to remove them. I can get a couple more puctures in a bit. Owned my truck for over 17 years snd just learned this 2 days ago.

Edited by dripley

Got too dark for pictures. Were you able to get them to lock for removal? Sure made install a breeze put them both on with the hood all the way up. No having to position them to get the arms all the way up. Pretty sure it would work with the hood down too.

Edited by dripley

11 hours ago, dripley said:

Owned my truck for over 17 years snd just learned this 2 days ago.

It's because you have one of the trucks that will run forever. In them miles you got on there you just never had to mess with it before. Your head barely needed any machine work which I'm still in shock, but happy for you. Your original ujoints etc, think of all the fun you're missing out on :lmao:

22 hours ago, dripley said:

Got too dark for pictures. Were you able to get them to lock for removal? Sure made install a breeze put them both on with the hood all the way up. No having to position them to get the arms all the way up. Pretty sure it would work with the hood down too.

No sir, started to get dark so I wiped some rain x and called it. Going to have to look at it again this weekend, but pretty sure I'm going to need a puller for the left arm. The right arm came off easy like you said.

19 minutes ago, Rotket said:

No sir, started to get dark so I wiped some rain x and called it. Going to have to look at it again this weekend, but pretty sure I'm going to need a puller for the left arm. The right arm came off easy like you said.

This is locking I am talking about. Does yours do this?20190412_163352.jpg.496ecfbf3e7c4da9659e248008c16b03.jpg

Still can't believe mine lifted on and off as easy as they did after 17.5 years. 

9 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Your new dash looks nice

If you're talking about the cowl, its paint. I used plastic trim paint. I did my front bumber covers with it it about 2 years ago and they have held up much better than expected.

5 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

No I was joking about all the crap on top of it :whistle2:

Kinda figured that. It has been a catch all for the past good while.

The cowl looks good again though. It had faded pretty bad over the years.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1