• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 Honda Accord using oil

Dieselfuture

5 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Glad to hear it was that easy to fix, happy motoring. 

That sensor is used to monitor the flow of exhaust gas by the increase in heat when the gas is flowing to the intake manifold.   When the EGR valve is commanded open and there is no increase in temp then the check engine light is turned on and P code is set,   This is an automatic fail in Cali. 

What's weird is, I blocked it off on my 88 GT Mustang I had about 15 years ago and it never did set code or light. I think that was about the only vehicle I blocked it off on. 

11 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

What's weird is, I blocked it off on my 88 GT Mustang I had about 15 years ago and it never did set code or light. I think that was about the only vehicle I blocked it off on. 

Did vehicles set codes back in 88?

Just now, dripley said:

Did vehicles set codes back in 88?

I think so. It could be because I separated the base and the sensor on the EGR valve, left the valve plugged in so if commanded to move it could still move freely and filled the hole in the base with J-B Weld and bolted it back on.

As far as I know emissions codes came in 96 with the arrival of OBD2. In my state (of confusion) pre 1996 vehicles are only subject to a visual emissions inspection because OBD1 did not read the emission codes. Cali vehicles are most likely different.

1 hour ago, dave110 said:

As far as I know emissions codes came in 96 with the arrival of OBD2. In my state (of confusion) pre 1996 vehicles are only subject to a visual emissions inspection because OBD1 did not read the emission codes. Cali vehicles are most likely different.

Thats what I was thinking. Had this truck for 8 years before I knew wwhat an error code was. Funny how a blown ECM will educate you.

• Staff

Pre 1989 no OBD systems.

1989-1995 OBD1 with check engine light era where each car manufacture had their own codes and code retravel system. 

1996-present OBDII codes P0100-P0999 and retrieval standardized throughout  industry.   OBDII codesP1000 and up are more likely to be manufacture specific.  

• Like 2

My son has a 95 accord that used oil. It was doing similar to yours. He didn't realize it was leaking rather than burning because of the undercarriage pans were holding most of the oil. The leak was on the back side of the engine from the oil pressure sensor. Once that was replaced with a new sensor the oil usage dropped to a manageable quart every 2500 miles.

Just something to check. 

32 minutes ago, madsen said:

My son has a 95 accord that used oil. It was doing similar to yours. He didn't realize it was leaking rather than burning because of the undercarriage pans were holding most of the oil. The leak was on the back side of the engine from the oil pressure sensor. Once that was replaced with a new sensor the oil usage dropped to a manageable quart every 2500 miles.

Just something to check. 

I had few leaks when I first got it. One from crankshaft seal, one of the balancing shaft seals, and the distributor o-ring and seal, I believe the sensor was a little wet too. I now have zero drips to the ground. I'm pretty convinced I have scored cylinder wall or bad rings on cylinder 1. 

Thanks for your input, them oil sensors are known to leak on a lot of different vehicles, in fact when they start to lick on some of our models of Cummins, they create a short in 5 volt circuit and cause headaches, hard to trace if you don't know what you're looking for.

16 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Pre 1989 no OBD systems.

1989-1995 OBD1 with check engine light era where each car manufacture had their own codes and code retravel system. 

1996-present OBDII codes P0100-P0999 and retrieval standardized throughout  industry.   OBDII codesP1000 and up are more likely to be manufacture specific.  

Makes sense. I remember when the GM techs had ALDL keys they carried with them that plugged into an interface under the dash. The odometer would then flash in a sequence that was read similar to morse code.

17 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Pre 1989 no OBD systems.

No wonder I never knew about codes.  Never had anything newer than an 84 until 1998 when I bought my first 3/4 ton. It was a 96 with a V10. It only gave me one problem in 2001. It was spitting and sputtering with oil running out of the tail pipe. Did not need a code for that. I am still sitting in its replacement.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1