• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Idling long enough to do pressure test.

Here's situation... coolant been in 4 yrs now, so time to change.  Very little miles, maybe 100 miles in last 2 years due to wife cant get in truck because of medical problems. And I cant leave her attended to drive it around to get properly warmed up.  And license tabs are also expired now.  (Hell of a mess I'm in)

So im thinking about a coolant system test (head gasket leak test)  I'll have to idle about 1000 rpm with exhaust brake on.  Never since 2005 when we got our 2001 excessively idled.  Or should I  forget pressure test, and just change coolant? Or idling to get up temps enough for test is OK?

I normally change coolant every 4 yrs.

What would you do?

Thanks for replying.

• Staff
13 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

So im thinking about a coolant system test (head gasket leak test)

Why, do you think the head gasket is leaking?  If not leave it alone. 

The best way to test if the head gasket is leaking blow by in to the coolant is with a BT-500 combustion leak test kit.  

You could have the entire system pressure tested to make sure it is holding pressure with no leaks at clamps, pump, radiator, or heater core, then I'd probably test the coolant pH with a test strip and change it if below 7.5.  

Coolant test strip IMG_3365.JPG.172f002680c7af5ace685c0384d773ec.JPG

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

What coolant is it?

I use Cummings coolant... the type for our year models... can't remember exact stuff off hand.  Pre-mixxed by gallon.

30 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Why, do you think the head gasket is leaking?  If not leave it alone. 

The best way to test if the head gasket is leaking blow by in to the coolant is with a BT-500 combustion leak test kit.  

You could have the entire system pressure tested to make sure it is holding pressure with no leaks at clamps, pump, radiator, or heater core, then I'd probably test the coolant pH with a test strip and change it if below 7.5.  

Coolant test strip IMG_3365.JPG.172f002680c7af5ace685c0384d773ec.JPG

Just want to test and make sure cooling system is holding pressure. 

My Ph strips on hand are probably 8 years old.  

Dont know if they go bad over time.  Think I'll Amazon some in, just to make sure.  

Or I could do a test in water (neutral)   can you think of any household thing that has known ph level in order to see if 8 year old strips are still good?  Household vinegar? 

20 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

There is an expiration date on this bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/Block-Tester-BT-500-Combustion-Leak/dp/B06VVBSFTF

Price not bad. Never knew about this product.  

In the past,  I've only did the pressure test on cooling system.  Assuming if pressure is lost, then start digging as to where pressure was lost to. 

Expiration date on bottle?...news to me.

I'm on the hunt tomorrow, hopefully find them.

Guest 04Mach1

I agree there is no need to replace the coolant if it tests good.  pH test and check concentration of coolant. The es compleat starts out a tad over 11 which means it's alkaline on the pH scale out of the bottle IIRC... 50/50 mix will give you -34°F freeze point. You can go a step further and check the molybdate and nitrite levels too which is what the es compleat coolant is formulated with. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fleetguard-CC2602-Coolant-3-Way-bottle/dp/B01CPU734S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=cc2602&qid=1556123794&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Edited by 04Mach1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 7:59 PM, AH64ID said:

If you can figure out what stuff it is that might help. More than one of the current coolants are lifetime. 

The coolant I had in my 05 was good for 8 years. 

What coolant are you running John?