• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

55 gallon bung thread size

Alright, pretty smart guys on here. I have an off-topic question, this looks like the right area to post it...

I want to clean up my used oil storage setup... As you can see, it is a mess....

Posted Image

So... What I am thinking is welding up some racks for the barrels so that I can lay them on their sides. I want a spigot on one of the threaded holes because I like to use that used oil to light brushpiles on fire that I pile up with my bulldozer and on the top I was thinking another spigot but inverted so I can simply open it and stick a funnel in to pour used oil in. What you all think??? Any ideas on what size of threads these are? Is it just pipe thread?

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Owner

I think the small bung is 1/2 inch normal pipe... Then the main bung is like 1 1/2 inch? (don't quote me!) But I know both ends are ready for typical pipe threads...:thumbup2: As for me I use standard old 5 gallon buckets (with lids) to haul my waste oil to the dump. But come fall of the year and I got a lot of wet or green material I might boost the burn by ditching say 1-2 gallons on the trash pile...

I think the small bung is 1/2 inch normal pipe... Then the main bung is like 1 1/2 inch? (don't quote me!) But I know both ends are ready for typical pipe threads...:thumbup2: As for me I use standard old 5 gallon buckets (with lids) to haul my waste oil to the dump. But come fall of the year and I got a lot of wet or green material I might boost the burn by ditching say 1-2 gallons on the trash pile...

OK perfect, if they are just regular pipe thread I will go measure it and go get some plumbing stuff! Thanks.

Now you got me curious of what you building? :shrug:

It really aint too exciting im sad to say... Just trying to make it easier to dispense the oil from the barrels to use it to start brush pile fires, by placing them horizontally and giving me some more capacity. I got a lot of equipment so I change oil a lot and Im cheap lol.

Here is what I am evisioning lol Posted Image

Ahhh... You got my attention... I might actually build me one too... :smart:

:thumb1: I think it will be nice to have! I'm kinda thinking about a wood stove similar to this setup, except use a couple smaller propane tanks for durability. I was going to ask you, what kinda wood stove do you have? I bet with all the timber up there you heat with wood!

• Owner

Yeap... Wood heat is the main source here! Now here is my fire place in the living room. But the only time this is used on really cold winter nights that are around 0*F we will close of all the un-needed room like the bedrooms etc and only heat the main living quarters. You also see my Big Buddy heater which we use for killing the chill mornings where a fire is too much heat.post-2-138698168289_thumb.jpg The main wood stove. The puppy is a custom made "Stove that Jack built" this thing is fan forced heat and will roast you out of the house.post-2-13869816828_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Confirming the thread sizes are standard pipe. At my marina, I used to buy antifreeze in 55 gal drums for winterizing. I'd install spicots in the small & a bush the big hole to a small valve to control the flow by vacume. Use the forklift to set the barrels in cradles so I could get containers underneath. We recycled gallon jugs just as a convenient way of tracking materials used. Oh, yes, bought cases of MMO gallons. I split MMO into pint cans (tell you how long ago that was). Fast idle & a pint right down the carb throats would fog an engine nicely. I never lost an engine.

Yeap... Wood heat is the main source here! Now here is my fire place in the living room. But the only time this is used on really cold winter nights that are around 0*F we will close of all the un-needed room like the bedrooms etc and only heat the main living quarters. You also see my Big Buddy heater which we use for killing the chill mornings where a fire is too much heat. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1586[/ATTACH] The main wood stove. The puppy is a custom made "Stove that Jack built" this thing is fan forced heat and will roast you out of the house. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1585[/ATTACH]

That is a very cool and unique tile arrangement there Mike!!!!! I like it!!!:thumbup2::2cents: