• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brakes, power steering

4 minutes ago, int3man said:

I just dug out my Challenger, to make a driver out if her.  Having to beat he kids back with sticks.  Paint has faded of the last 15 year but she is still there.  340 Auto with Power steering

I used to imports Mopar parts and cars/trucks into the UK, was the UK dealer for FBO Systems from Oregon for 10 years until the banking crash in 08

1 minute ago, portlandareae28 said:

what would the benefit of "thin head" be?  I am not following...

very little clearance on the back of the pump to other stuff If I remember right

Chuck it up in a lathe, by the threads,  and reduce the thickness of the hex head that protrudes from the part.  For clearance purposes. I hope that makes sense. 

If you look at the JEGS picture that is  a thin headed bolt shown. 

Michael :- )

16 minutes ago, wil440 said:

I used to imports Mopar parts and cars/trucks into the UK, was the UK dealer for FBO Systems from Oregon for 10 years until the banking crash in 08

very little clearance on the back of the pump to other stuff If I remember right

hmmmm... there is nothing back there, I am able to stick my finger in that top hole, I think the lower one has the plastic plug maybe in it still, should be a fun mess to try and get that one in.  We will see how it goes.  Actually I think it is just the one on the top left..  I think that lower right gets a nipple for one of the return lines.

Edited by portlandareae28

there are 2 holes in the back of the reservoir where the lines all go into it.  which I believe is where the studs in that jegs image go into the reservoir.  those are the two holes, specifically the upper left one that I am trying to determine if they would leak fluid if nothing is in them.

there are 3 holes with green on them in this image, the large one center bottom is where the pressure line to the Hydraboost goes in.  the one to the right of it has a plug in it in my truck (plastic plug that spins fairly easily) the UPPER LEFT one in my truck has nothing in it, and is the one I am really focused on at this point.  Trying to figure out if that could leak fluid.

43183d1501285529-diy-power-steering-pump

Just checked my truck.... upper left is the bolt that holds the can on, can't believe Dodge used a 40 plus year old power steer pump

is the green stuff plastic caps ?

Edited by wil440

thats what we are saying.

The upper left hole should be filled with a bolt to keep the reservoir attached to the pump body.

In non-hydroboost vehicles the lower right one is also a bolt. (big center is the pressure and the return line goes on the tube.)

in hydro-boosted vehicles the lower right one should be filled with a special bolt with the other return line. (the steering sector and the hydro boost have separate returns to the reservoir)

HTH

Hag

I found the picture of what someone says is the back of a 99 power steering pump.

image.png.a4f4fa289c7ce52e513e8cfa775bb05e.png

Cant confirm it, (it only has one return line, but I am stuck on the 01 and it has 2 return lines to the reservoir.)  but notice the upper left and lower right holes have bolts in them.

HTH

Hag

• Staff

The old Volvo used this type of pump up to 1984 and the rear mounting bracket used those bolt holes.  I've had to reseal the pump reservoir due to leaks there.  There are O-rings that go between the pump and the reservoir housing that need to be replaced.  it's a very easy job to due once the pump is off the vehicle.   another time I had a pump leak because of a short hairline crack in the reservoir sheet metal at one of the bolt holes.   I think, it was about thirty years ago, I brazed that crack closed.  

The kit is cheap, $9-$14, an can be found at most parts suppliers.

762421696_8002fd941.gif.a9fb7785eb1724b6eeef979440ec4880.gif77385367_th9(2).jpg.2211a3f77878549f9abf771346e2f029.jpg   

• Owner

This is easy to work on...

:hijack:

Today I gotta install a power steering pump on a 2002 Ford 7.3L PowerStroke with 37 inch tires. The fluid is burnt and comes to a idle and the power is lost to both steering and brakes. He's to afraid to drive home to Boise, ID. He's camped out in Riggins, ID. 

:backtotopic:

Our system as long as the fluid is kept changed every 30k miles then the likely-hood of a system fault or leaks are usually keep at bay. Only 2 seals for the gearbox the input shaft and the pitman arm shaft. Watch the vacuum pump too some times can be miss leading.