• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Random hard start.

So two times now in the past two days my truck has taken 5 or 6 seconds to start. On a cold start it starts right up. It seems that if I shut it off and wait 20 or 30 minutes is when the hard start occurs. If it sits for 4 or 5 hours again it's fine. If I shut it down and instantly restart it it's fine. No obvious leaks no smell of diesel fuel. I have a wait to start light and I can hear the lift pump turn on. No codes. Any ideas?

Should have looked at the other thread first.

Edited by Manimalmother
Typo

So it seems I have the opposite problem as the other thread.  Mine cold starts fine.  I wonder if it's my starter.  It is original as far as I know.  It at least has 160k on it.  Batteries are less than 1 year old.

I have put the HD kit in it from genos now that I think about it.

No injector lines are leaking and the fuel return on the back of the head is dry, along with the Tee.  I don't think it's losing prime.

Manimal

If you think you are in a situation where its gonna act up, (or while hot see if it starts like its cold, when it doesn't pour cold water over the vp.)  You could also try just a bump with no start, that should leave the lift pump running for like 30 seconds.   Then try a normal start.  (this would circulate cooler fuel through the pump cooling the circuit board.)

You won't like where I am heading, but it is a known failure mode of the VP.   (while hot the circuit board doesn't make some specific contacts, but when cold it will....)  (my brother's vp was opposite.  you heated it to get it to run right.  Hot air gun was very handy.)

Hag

2 hours ago, Haggar said:

Manimal

If you think you are in a situation where its gonna act up, (or while hot see if it starts like its cold, when it doesn't pour cold water over the vp.)  You could also try just a bump with no start, that should leave the lift pump running for like 30 seconds.   Then try a normal start.  (this would circulate cooler fuel through the pump cooling the circuit board.)

You won't like where I am heading, but it is a known failure mode of the VP.   (while hot the circuit board doesn't make some specific contacts, but when cold it will....)  (my brother's vp was opposite.  you heated it to get it to run right.  Hot air gun was very handy.)

Hag

I'm kind of leaning towards the starter.  I've noticed that when the problem occurs it turns over slower than normal.  I am going to pull it and rebuild again.  It's been a while.

Nice. That's great news.

My truck did the same thing it actually started not starting but would start if the key was cycled then just quit starting all together. At the time it quit starting I had a work truck so I just quit driving it for a couple weeks and researched starters and ended up buying Larry Bs rebuild kit for 60 bucks.

That was probly 8 years ago.

Edited by Evan