• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Consensus on "leveling" a truck

8 hours ago, Evan said:

I also think the 2nd gen is known for haveing weak frames.

1 hour ago, Evan said:

Frames tweaking right behind the cab on 2nd gens.

This is true and I have first hand experience as well.  My truck used to be a long bed regular cab but I tweaked the frame exactly in that spot.  It's the only reason that I'm a regular cab shortbed now...because I cut the bent part completely off of it and replaced it with a straight back half of a 1/2 shortbed.  Well I guess another reason is cuz it looks cool and my truck is one of a kind since Dodge didn't make a reg cab shortbed diesel.  It only weighs 6k lbs now and is much stronger than before since it is welded, 3/8" steel plated and fully boxed in that area.  Surely the strongest part of the frame now.  Hardly anybody notices except for real truck enthusiasts...which I take as a compliment that I did a professional job.

But it is true...the 2nd gen frames are weak in that area. 

Edited by Bullet
  • Like 1

20141010_103737.jpg.ff476ef8255e66d4b082ff8b420a8a7a.jpg.053a101929d576dff7b3451bce9be241.jpg20140911_173921.jpg.eb3c4d23c4ed1f63e24a12d293b8f797.jpg.0ea633fa46ffa60403d2db793df99666.jpg

20 minutes ago, dripley said:

Well my bed cab still line so maybe I have not abused it enough. QCLB.

Mine had a pallet of porcelain floor tile in the bed that was about 2000 lbs and it twisted up the frame like a pretzel about a foot behind the cab.

1st pic repaired and shortened, 2nd pic frame bent. 

Edited by Bullet

I hauled 2 cubes of brick in my a few back at 5k pounds. I place them one against the front of the bed and the other over the rear axle and just behind. The front cube's bands broke so i was able to keep most of that cube forward. The rear cube sat about 30% forward of the axle and 70% rear of the axle. If I was to load all the weight rear of the axle I could understand that causing problems. Precisely why I tried to spread the load out. I have also hauled 12' hacks of lumber in mine when needed. Fortunately those were short hauls because to much weight is hanging out the rear of the bed. Weight disttribution and distance is key factor in how I have loaded mine over the years with no results as I see in your picture.

I am in construction, as maybe you are, and am called on to haul tnings to the job. Short trips I will pile it on. But long hauls like the brick do fine woth the load forward as much as possible.

1 minute ago, dripley said:

I am in construction, as maybe you are, and am called on to haul tnings to the job. Short trips I will pile it on. But long hauls like the brick do fine woth the load forward as much as possible.

I day trade mainly but also buy/sell properties and do all my own rehab work.  You are correct about proper loading.  Most of the weight was center axle back.  I figured it would be fine for the short trip...I figured wrong.  

15 minutes ago, Bullet said:

I day trade mainly but also buy/sell properties and do all my own rehab work.  You are correct about proper loading.  Most of the weight was center axle back.  I figured it would be fine for the short trip...I figured wrong.  

That does suck, just have not experienced that with mine.

These dodges are no better than any other truck when it comes to working.  Trucks that live a easy street life are far different than working trucks.

The only thing that stands out is the 5.9

Because we own dodges we get thinking they're a holy grail but they arent. Thet break and wear out like the others having strong and weak points.

• Like 1

As one member said here long ago, I bought a Cummins. Its not my fault a Dodge came wrapped around it. The Dodge part has been good to me over the years so I cant complain. It has held up well for most part. And unless I have some sort of major failure I will just keep driving it. Its true I dont haul stuff in it every by any means ut it has never to get whatever I put to where it needs to go. So at 483k and God knows how many hours of idling she still runs strong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dripley said:

As one member said here long ago, I bought a Cummins. Its not my fault a Dodge came wrapped around it.

This pretty much sums it up perfectly.  I heard a popular diesel mechanic shop on y-tube once claim that the perfect truck would be a Ford Superduty truck and frame with a Cummins engine and an Allison transmission.

I would be very happy if I had my complete power and drivetrain in a Superduty truck.

• Staff
9 hours ago, Bullet said:

I would be very happy if I had my complete power and drivetrain in a Superduty truck.

Maybe the older ones, but the newer ones are not as nice as Ram. 

I'll take my powertrain and cab over my brothers '17 F-250 any day of the week. 

Each one does have some benefits, but the Ram is a better cab hands down, IMHO

• Like 2