• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coolant data chart

• Owner

Dont worry too much on specs. I've used just about every coolant out there. I tend to fall back to the original green coolant of the past. Yellow universal works just fine too. The only one I won't use is the modern HOAT

The biggest thing is NOT trying to run all the way to the limit of the coolant. If it labeled for 5 years 150k miles I would cut that down to at least 75k (3yrs) to 100k miles (4 yrs). Our diesel engine tend to turn corrosive quicker (pH dropping).

Made 392k on the OEM radiator before the rubber header seal failed from, pH issues.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

I think I only did 3 gal of actual antifreeze and did 50/50 mix. I went with the Zerex G05 yellow as was doing two different Ford Focus timing belts and WP at the time, they run the yellow so was easier to use all the same. Did the flush, fill and run deal, then final fill with the 50/50. So you wind up with some extra buckets of water to recycle at the end of the deal.

• Owner

So far in all this I've never seen a vehicle freeze up yet in our member group. I've seen plenty of pH corrosion damage over the years. 

Kind of like myself. I over extended a coolant change and paid the price.

• oil cooler gasket $70
  • radiator $280
  • head gasket $2000

These failure could of all be avoided by just flushing out the coolant earlier and resetting the pH balance again.

• Owner

Personally no. Still has to be changed at about the same intervals because of pH balance is gone and turning corrosive. Then like GM's version of OAT coolant has had several failures with coolant. This stuff is scary and the amount of damage it will do.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

Nevertheless, the automaker has alerted mechanics that vehicles operated for 15,000 to 20,000 miles with low coolant levels "may be susceptible to the formation of a rust like material in the cooling system."

Edited by Mopar1973Man

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally no. Still has to be changed at about the same intervals because of pH balance is gone and turning corrosive. Then like GM's version of OAT coolant has had several failures with coolant. This stuff is scary and the amount of damage it will do.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

Wow, I've seen what Dexcool can do but was thinking of using the OAT coolant used in heavy duty tractors since I pretty much get it free at work ( from left over jugs after coolant services etc) 

20190927_234046.jpg