• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Update......

So, it turns out that I had fuel mix in with my oil. The O-rings on the injectors became flat and brittle. My injectors were replaced about 3.5 years ago with 50 over and O-rings were new OEM from my local Dodge dealer. Not sure why.. Just sharing what happened. It appears that it was caught in time... fingers crossed.

• Owner
13 hours ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Update......

So, it turns out that I had fuel mix in with my oil. The O-rings on the injectors became flat and brittle. My injectors were replaced about 3.5 years ago with 50 over and O-rings were new OEM from my local Dodge dealer. Not sure why.. Just sharing what happened. It appears that it was caught in time... fingers crossed.

Typically injectors only last about 75k to 100k miles. Aftermarket injectors a lot of times are popped low so stock pressure is 310 bar. Aftermarket some times can be popped lower 300 or 305 bar. Bottom limit is 293 bar. Below 293 bar the spray pattern gets larger droplets and spray issue. Sticking and hanging injectors can occur from poor assembly and testing process (or no pop testing was done).

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically injectors only last about 75k to 100k miles. Aftermarket injectors a lot of times are popped low so stock pressure is 310 bar. Aftermarket some times can be popped lower 300 or 305 bar. Bottom limit is 293 bar. Below 293 bar the spray pattern gets larger droplets and spray issue. Sticking and hanging injectors can occur from poor assembly and testing process (or no pop testing was done).

What's this have to do with the o-rings flattening out and becoming brittle? They were Mopar from dealer. They only had 40-50k on them. I have the original injectors in the garage with the o-rings still on em and they look great with 125k on them.

You can't tell by looking at them on the outside what the condition of the internals are like. For example, what pressure they are popping off at, is the needle and seat leaking between pops, etc. OEM's do seem to be better quality than the budget injector nozzles floating around however, and it can be seen with how long they last.

Sounds like O-rings were all you needed though.

I had a set  of injectors that the orings flat spotted like yours that were leaking. Took it apart on the weekend to find out why they were leaking and discovered them. I couldnt find any so I put the old ones on from my old set of RV275's that already had 150k on them. They were still pliable where the ones that flat spotted broke when I tried to take them off. All o rings are not created equal. 

• Owner
12 hours ago, cs15dah said:

Really??  I better start prepping myself for new injectors then.  I had no idea.

12 hours ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

What's this have to do with the o-rings flattening out and becoming brittle? They were Mopar from dealer. They only had 40-50k on them. I have the original injectors in the garage with the o-rings still on em and they look great with 125k on them.

I had 150k miles on my stock injectors. Had them tested 260 bar on average this is 30 bar below minimum. Then the engine load was zero and idled at 875 RPM. These where completely wasted and unusable even though it start runs smooth but MPG is down some and bit more smokey than normal. 

First set of RV275's I got had serious mileage on them and I took them apart and clean them and got bad to 290 bar barely. Then ran them for 9 months and they fell to 260 bar in a short time. Only lasted a year.

Then I had +50 HP from Vulcan performance they were popped at 305 bar and only lasted 75k miles and was wasted below 280 bar. 

Then jumped +75 HP from DAP and these again where popped at 305 bar and only last barely 70k miles and started missing at warm idle. (another sign of failing injectors).

Now I got smart had had a custom set of +150 HP made by DAP from my stock injector bodies. Had them raise the pop pressure to 320 bar. Now I'm still going after 75k miles engine load is still 6 to 7% at an idle, very clean injectors, and will last more than 100k miles for sure. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

I got maybe 20K out of my DAP nozzles. Got 3 replaced under warranty and had them assemble them on a new second set of bodies... And they came set to 315-320 bar instead of the 335 that I requested. And my truck already isn't idling right or running quite right with low rpm low load after less than 5k kms. I'm guessing the other 3 that didn't get replaced under warranty are dinked. Time for me to try somebody else if/when I rebuild my other set of bodies. Frustrating. Sometimes budget parts work out, other times not. On the flip side, if you want to do some R&D, experimenting, tweaking, etc, budget parts are an important part of the process if you want to have fun and learn something without going broke.

Edited by kzimmer
More Info
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 7:56 AM, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Evidently these were not created equal... One should expect that they are when purchased from a dealer tho...

Yhea I hear you there, seems that a lot of things becoming a 50/50 Mix these days. 

On 2/29/2020 at 12:30 PM, kzimmer said:

And they came set to 315-320 bar instead of the 335 that I requested

That does suck as its not all that fun to tear crap apart when you don't have to. Mine were requested to be set at 320-325 I have no idea where they were but I know they are getting smokier now, maybe 15k on them, I keep adjusting quad for it. I'm thinking of gathering part together to pop myself, as I think nozels are probably still good, just need to pop higher. They were definitely running clean and strong when I first got them, it sucks that pop settles this quick.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm thinking of gathering part together to pop myself, as I think nozels are probably still good, just need to pop higher.

Let me know if you decide to go this route. I'll tell you about mine. I definitely don't regret it, being able to pop your own injectors is awesome.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

They were definitely running clean and strong when I first got them, it sucks that pop settles this quick.

I think it might be partially due to shim quality. The shims need to be a very hard steel. I've recorded some data while shimming my own, and found that .05mm difference in shim thickness can translate to around 20 bar when in the mid 300 bar range. I'm guessing some can be attributed to spring fatigue and nozzle wear as well.

• Like 1