• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Spare tire winch

• Staff

Has anyone ever had one of these apart? I may look mine later today, the PO had the spare laying in the bed, the end of the winch cable with the tire cradle is zip tied to the hitch frame. I assume it was seized up or something but the more I use the truck the more the spare in the bed gets in the way. 

I've looked at new winches and they're a bit pricey for what they are so just wondered if anyone has dissected one. 

• Staff

I have two second gens and don't trust the tire winch. It looks kind of cheesy. If I needed one I would go to the wrecking yards for one. I did manage to get some oil to mine, but not sure if it will help much.

In order for me to not worry about losing my spare, possibly hurting someone, I hang two short pieces of chain on the frame either side of the spare tire and then with a small chainbinder I bind the two chains together across the underside of the spare. It holds the spare firmly in place and not relying on the cheesy winch to constantly hold it up in place.

The cable on mine broke about 3 years ago. I put new Mopar one on. I dont remrmber it being expensive though. I'll check see if I still have whrre I got it from.

In a fairly quick google search and saw them for anywhere from $55 to a Mopar oe at a $112. The part # is 52058707. I remeber paying less than a hundred for mine and it was Mopar. But I have slept a few times since then. And not at a Holiday inn Express.

Mine was rotted when I got the truck, I cut it off. Spear is in the back, but often thinking about just leaving it home now that I have on board air and plugs. Seems when I got the oba I never needed the spear lol. I also tossed the idea on making a spear tire swing on rear bumper but then thought on how it be in the way for other things.

• Staff
On 3/21/2020 at 6:29 AM, dripley said:

The cable on mine broke about 3 years ago. I put new Mopar one on. I dont remrmber it being expensive though. I'll check see if I still have whrre I got it from.

In a fairly quick google search and saw them for anywhere from $55 to a Mopar oe at a $112. The part # is 52058707. I remeber paying less than a hundred for mine and it was Mopar. But I have slept a few times since then. And not at a Holiday inn Express.

What's the matter with Holiday Inn? Don't they accept free rangers in there?

• Staff

Yes I know what you are talking about.... just thought I'd give you a little hard time. 

You know I like my 2 chains idea otherwise someday I could see my spare passing me on the highway. It is easy to do as the frame has a nice size hole on each side of the spare to hook a chain and then bind them across the underside of the spare tire. When you need the spare just remove the small chain binder and they hang out of the way on each side.

To secure the binder I place a hose clamp around the handle to lock it in place. :2cents:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

The safety chain is not a bad idea at all. But I would still put the winch on for raising and lowering. Aint no way my old arse is getting under there trying hold it up and chain it.

I lost my spare when the winch cable broke and was very lucky the tire did not hit someone. It jumped over 30 feet in the air after it came out from under the truck. Never heard a thing, just happened to see it in the mirror and folks getting out of the way. Pretty dangerous.  

• Staff
4 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

So when you put it up there or take it down you would have to lift the tire up to the frame by hand?

I have always used the winch and both my originals are still working. I use the chain so the winch isn't being pulled on all the time to hopefully save it for the long run and since the winch is somewhat unreliable, I want the chains to keep the spare from breaking loose on the road and possibly hurting someone.

To bad we can't have a pandemic on these cheesy winches because no one would tail a second gen anymore.:lol:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

I was able to get it broke loose. Didn't take much effort really. Had it turning, cable going up and down just fine. Had a rachet strap out to secure once the tire was up. Placed the tire on the cable cradle and started cranking it up. The another problem presented itself. The spare hits the exhaust pipe where it goes up and over the rear axle. It's an aftermarket exhaust and large diameter than stock (4" I believe). So now that I have the winch working the tire won't fit up there. Just my luck I guess.

On another note, I was doing a few things to the truck yesterday and noticed my spare is a 4 hole wheel. The six on the truck are 7 hole wheels. Any thoughts? I thought they were either 4 or 5 hand holes.