• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

BLM Lands and National Forest boundaries

JAG1

• Staff

Okay I joined the new world and got a laptop computer. Big deal.... I'm only 30 years late...... I can take it with me camping, but the big question is, how do I plug GPS into it and get where I can see where I am in relation to BLM or National Forest land for dispersed camping? You know..... for it be a map/ screen to show I'm not lost? Is it thru my Verizon? Mopar Mike gonna go, ''Oh geeze'' here goes the donkey'' lol

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

I use my wife's cell phone her carrier is Verizon, as a hot spot and link through it to get the internet when traveling.

You will then be able to open the blm,gov/maps link and down load the maps.

https://www.blm.gov/maps

There are also apps that you can that show all public lands with trails and campgrounds.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=public+lands+app&FORM=R5FD1

• Like 1

• Staff

Thank you IBMobile, we are going to need it with all the closures. I have been in some nice spots while dispersed camping. I did not like the rv getting pushed on one night though :think: That kept me awake for awhile.

• Staff
21 hours ago, Me78569 said:

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-S4-USB-Receiver-Black/dp/B008200LHW

Plug that bad boy in and it will work.   No need for internet to get a location, so you could preload maps or buy maps and then just use your GPS location

Yeah that's what I want is GPS with map.

Are you saying all I need is the 27-28 dollar item or do I need to go full $1150 bucks for the Garmin? There's two items on there is why. Thanks Nick.

If you just want a gps to plug into your laptop that $27 item will enable gps on your laptop.  What you use as a mapping backend is up to you.  you could use google earth or pre load the maps from google maps

or you could pay for mapping in other ways.   

• Thanks 1

• Staff
11 hours ago, Me78569 said:

If you just want a gps to plug into your laptop that $27 item will enable gps on your laptop.  What you use as a mapping backend is up to you.  you could use google earth or pre load the maps from google maps

or you could pay for mapping in other ways.   

Wow cool and easy.

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got a Garmin 42LM GPS. It shows those boundaries. Just start the truck and drive. The Garmin is hard wired so it goes off with the key. Same here legal and hands free.

Second method fire up Google Maps and let Google maps talk through the stereo. This legal hands free.

I will also take a look at this too.