• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Have you tried re-seating it? Do you know if you have the ECM flash that makes the oil psi gauge fake? If so then I really don't think it matters what psi sender you get, as long as it shows pressure where there is some the ECM won't care.

So if I get the flash done to take advantage of the high idle 3 cyl run my oil pressure gauge will not work correctly?

So if I get the flash done to take advantage of the high idle 3 cyl run my oil pressure gauge will not work correctly?

That is my understanding.

Have you tried re-seating it? Do you know if you have the ECM flash that makes the oil psi gauge fake? If so then I really don't think it matters what psi sender you get, as long as it shows pressure where there is some the ECM won't care.

Umm.... I've got the flash and mine seems to work fine....???:shrug: I don't have another one to compare it to, but it seems the same before and after the flash!:thumbup2:

• Staff

Umm.... I've got the flash and mine seems to work fine....???:shrug: I don't have another one to compare it to, but it seems the same before and after the flash!:thumbup2:

What does your pressure read? Cold cruise should be about 80 psi, and warm idle is down at 20ish, normal cruise is about 55-60 at 2K rpms.

• Staff

That sounds just like mine.:thumbup2:

When did you have the 3 cyl flash done? I have been under the impression that the 3yl flash is an actual SW flash, but maybe its just like the 3rd gen and its not a full flash, just an enabled option. But then again its also just my understanding that all current 2nd gen SW make the oil psi gauge fake, but maybe thats just an 01-02 thing as they seem to have more options and bigger ECM's. But you have an 01, so :banghead:

• Staff

Actually there is a difference... High idle is a flash yes be there do not reprogram the ECM/PCM at all all they do is ENABLE the high idle function and that all... As for taking a software update then you end up with all the goofy problem hence the oil pressure gauge become a idiot light.

That explains it!

Actually there is a difference... High idle is a flash yes be there do not reprogram the ECM/PCM at all all they do is ENABLE the high idle function and that all... As for taking a software update then you end up with all the goofy problem hence the oil pressure gauge become a idiot light.

So if I hook up a smarty what does it do? I was wondering if there was anyone close to me central Illinois who has a smarty and would be willing to hook up and do the upgrade. The local Dodge dealer has no idea what I am referring to when I asked about the fast idle 3 cyl unlock, makes me apprehensive do not want "all the goofy problems"

When did you have the 3 cyl flash done? I have been under the impression that the 3yl flash is an actual SW flash, but maybe its just like the 3rd gen and its not a full flash, just an enabled option. But then again its also just my understanding that all current 2nd gen SW make the oil psi gauge fake, but maybe thats just an 01-02 thing as they seem to have more options and bigger ECM's. But you have an 01, so :banghead:

A while back, not sure about the date. Mike explains it all!!!:thumbup2:

• Owner

So if I hook up a smarty what does it do? I was wondering if there was anyone close to me central Illinois who has a smarty and would be willing to hook up and do the upgrade. The local Dodge dealer has no idea what I am referring to when I asked about the fast idle 3 cyl unlock, makes me apprehensive do not want "all the goofy problems"

That's how I got mine done I had Bob Wagner send me his personal Smarty and I got to play with it for a couple of weeks and the just return to stock and mailed it back. Thing is either way is safe going to the dealer or using the smarty... If you can't get a smarty then got to this page... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/high-idle/tsb18-019-01.htm Print it out and then take it to you local dealer they can follow the step by step instructions to enable the high idle. Just follow from #7 down...