• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nightmare came true

Tappet cover was leaking, so unless someone has an ultra secret procedure, I needed to pretty much remove everything that side of block , I have removed the injection pump before, being mindful of the key, but this time the key fell out. A) tear front cover off and retrieve key or B) hope it made its way to the oil pan.

Edited by Blueox01

Me personally I’d go with the cheaper option, pulling the front cover. The seal and silicone is cheaper than an oil change.

plus you can get a magnetic stick in there and try to find it in the front portion of the pan, might even be sitting on the gears!

16 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

Tappet cover was leaking, so unless someone has an ultra secret procedure, I needed to pretty much remove everything that side of block , I have removed the injection pump before, being mindful of the key, but this time the key fell out. A) tear front cover off and retrieve key or B) hope it made its way to the oil pan.

I've recently completed both tasks you are currently facing and removing the front crank case cover was way easier than expected! I did not drop the key while removing my VP but oil was leaking from the front cover on my rig as well as the tappet cover.

Make sure you procure a front crankshaft seal so you can replace that while you have the cover off. Thorughbred Diesel makes some pretty awesome HowTo videos for our 2nd gens, this one helped my a lot with the crank case cover! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuuxQLUhx_s

EDIT: For the record I have also replaced the oil pan gasket and if it was between the oil pan gasket or the crank case cover to find the missing key I would remove the front cover 10 times again before attempting to drop the oil pan again.

Edited by jtrakel
  • Like 1

Well I slept on it overnight and figured I would pull the vacuum pump before the front cover and see if I could find the key, well just as I pulled the pump out the key dropped out and onto the ground, Whew!

Edited by Blueox01
  • Like 4

On 5/16/2020 at 9:35 AM, dripley said:

Bore scope maybe? I did do mine a while back also. This made it easy.

20170528_142737.jpg.7461535b959be50ce23564117a862de4.jpg

Might not go that far again but had to deal with this.

592b17ec184a7_beginning01.jpg.e4826476ddd6a63d48fb207cb26fc4b1.jpg

Dave I'm going to be replacing my front bumper soon and will gladly donate my old one to the cause....lol

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Manimalmother said:

Dave I'm going to be replacing my front bumper soon and will gladly donate my old one to the cause....lol

I appreciate the offer very much. I replaced it when I went for timing case reseal. It did make the job easier with all of that out of the way. Surprisingly removing it all is not to difficult.