• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rock Slide Highway 95 closed north of Pollock, Idaho

• Staff

Mike, did you take that video? Those poor town folk already having a tough time with all the tourism shut down. It's the only main source of money/ income to that town

See now you should not have removed your muffler..... look what you caused :nadkick:

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 3

• Owner

They managed to open up Pollock road for pilot car traffic. Average speed is about 10 to 15 MPH.Takes 2 hours for a round trip to town. Roughly 15 to 25 minute wait to cross back over. Then another 15 to 20 minutes to travel 5 miles. 

5f089af5a3c96.image.jpg?resize=750,563&f

safe_image.php?d=AQCXK7lPE6F8X8Xy&w=540&

Since the rock slide closed the highway then Idaho is back into shutdown mode with COVID-19 issues.  It's been very rough to get job to come out to my place and most people are feeling the pinch of lack of money. I'm still managing to make a some job work for me. Really slowing down everything. Parts seem to take for ever to get here if mail ordered. I've been adapting to the way things are but it doesn't make it any easier. For me I look and see I've got a bigger audience here on the website than I do locally being tourism is way off. There was no jet boat races (CLOSED), there was no Rodeo Weekend (CLOSED), etc. Looking at 7,2xx members here I'm sure I can sell a few things. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

The last rock to come down is quite a bit bigger than 2 cargo containers. ITD is going to wait and see what is going to fall next. Add more to this the area has been hit with a rash of 3.0 and 4.0 earthquakes. I've never felt them but sure help that last rock to slide off. Yesterday I was watching the rock monkeys up there swinging around on ropes. knocking down all the small rocks. 

• Staff
On 7/16/2020 at 6:57 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

The last rock to come down is quite a bit bigger than 2 cargo containers. ITD is going to wait and see what is going to fall next. Add more to this the area has been hit with a rash of 3.0 and 4.0 earthquakes. I've never felt them but sure help that last rock to slide off. Yesterday I was watching the rock monkeys up there swinging around on ropes. knocking down all the small rocks. 

Amazing..... I would like watching that. It's going to be a while using a hydraulic splitter to get them to movable size.

• Haha 1

• Owner

Nothing is being done currently for clean up. ITD still saying its not safe to get under the slide to even clean up. Still a wait and see process.

Between Ranny Road and Pollock Road (3 to 7 miles south of the Riggins area). The road is closed. There's been a rock fall. Truck restrictions are in force. There is a weight limit in effect. There is a width limit in effect. Expect delays.

Comment: US 95 is currently closed from milepost 186 to milepost 190, which is approximately 2.5 miles north of Pollock to 1.5 miles south of Pollock. There is a local detour in place from 5:00AM PDT until 8:00PM PDT (6:00AM MDT until 9:00PM MDT) until further notice. Alternating one way traffic on a gravel road. Expect delays of up to 30 minutes. Legal loads are allowed (Legal axle and vehicle weights to a maximum of 129,000 lbs, 8ft 6in width). Operation under an annual special oversize/overweight permit will not be allowed.

Last updated Today at 9:41 AM MDT

• Sad 1

The way we do it in Colorado 

Here is a video and a few pics I took of a rock removal I was involved in last year, 

two rocks (house size each)  came from about 1000 ft. Upslope ,one made it across the road, leaving a 30’ wide by 15’ deep crater in the road, that rock is still there, the one blocking the road had to be mitigated.

There was talk about building a new road to wind around it but option one was chosen 

3 day s and we had the road open to one way, Rocks fell at 4:00 pm on a Friday and had debris stacked and road cleared and open to one way by 2:00 pm on Memorial Day, That included having to get clearance to work on private property, Rock scaling crew, geologist and state engineers and the works.

35E855DE-F755-42D0-9A6A-FA0DADA44FE8.jpeg

4A1EE2F2-DDEB-4A4F-B1F9-EA3363E4F408.jpeg

8354B9ED-81E1-4D04-A001-97233E1C4C99.jpeg

• Like 2

• Owner

I've got to roll into town today for a job... I'll grab my camera and shot a few photos. 

Take a look at the containers these are shipping containers that were shoved out from the large rock fall. Give new perspective of the size of the rocks vs a normal semi-truck container. You see the temporary dirt road below, the highway is more inward towards the hillside barely see the south bound lane shoulder. 

Image may contain: plant, shoes, outdoor, nature and water

• Staff

Nice photos and very interesting. You can see a smooth straight downslope of the newly exposed rock face. No wonder it gave way as the rock cleavage was sloped downward. I am glad no one was caught in that slide.