• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1998.5-2002 guys with a swapped in Manual transmission

Hey all, I have been a member of the forum for years but have slowly moved away from it over the years. I am back now and starting to toy with my truck again. Wanted to make a quick post for guys who have either swapped/ purchased there truck with a Auto to Manual swap. I did mine 2 years ago and have been running flawlessly since then. 

Now to the point of this post. I never swapped my ECM+PCM during the swap because i never had any issues. So why swap the computers if you don't have to right? (I am kinda one of those guys if it works don't F*** with it!). 

So here we go i was definitely WRONG. If you have done this Auto to Manual swap and not re flashed/ swapped computers i strongly recommend doing it and here is why. My truck was always a stall easy truck since the swap and i would have to rev up quite a bit for a 2nd gear start and always be feathering the clutch at every intersection hoping for a smooth start. It always felt so easy to stall like no governer almost. (also have a full ceramic SB DD clutch) The truck always rev'd higher at idle due to no automatic trans bolted to it anymore. Almost 900RPM. I had it in my head that the factory Manual trucks would run somewhere around 800RPM idle instead of the 850 that auto trucks did.(Think a post on this site lead me to that info) also i figured i would get some sort of Anti Stall software built into the computer also. 

Anyways i swapped the ECM+PCM yesterday and what a difference. Noticeably quieter (lower) idle and the truck has anti stall software now. This truck is a totally different truck now. I can leave intersections and pull out in front of people with confidence. In cab the only difference i have noticed is the gauges do not light up trans temp on startup for 5 seconds or so anymore. The Manual PCM swap got rid of that. Just a FYI i am still running the factory Auto wiring harness and have no lights or any issues so far. Just wanted to make a quick post and say if you have done a auto to manual swap and have not matched it with the proper computers i strongly suggest doing so! Josh

Oh yeah i just bought a Quadzilla Adrenaline. I have been running the Comp for years and Mopar1973man's move to the Quad made my decision to switch and i am excited to get it in the mail . Josh

Oh yeah one more thing. I have also noticed that my Fuel pump only runs for about 1 second if that with key on before startup and the auto computers would make it run for 3 seconds or so maybe then shut off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wil440 said:

Sorry.... I got to ask..... are you selling the auto ecm and pcm by any chance :whistle:

That is a hard one. I know my Auto stuff works with the manual so i want to keep them just in case i would have a failure in the future. I do however know where there is a ECM+PCM from a 99 i believe in a local junkyard:) i could probably get them for you and ship them off if you are in desperate need:)

14 hours ago, Joshschneids said:

Hey all, I have been a member of the forum for years but have slowly moved away from it over the years. I am back now and starting to toy with my truck again. Wanted to make a quick post for guys who have either swapped/ purchased there truck with a Auto to Manual swap. I did mine 2 years ago and have been running flawlessly since then. 

Now to the point of this post. I never swapped my ECM+PCM during the swap because i never had any issues. So why swap the computers if you don't have to right? (I am kinda one of those guys if it works don't F*** with it!). 

So here we go i was definitely WRONG. If you have done this Auto to Manual swap and not re flashed/ swapped computers i strongly recommend doing it and here is why. My truck was always a stall easy truck since the swap and i would have to rev up quite a bit for a 2nd gear start and always be feathering the clutch at every intersection hoping for a smooth start. It always felt so easy to stall like no governer almost. (also have a full ceramic SB DD clutch) The truck always rev'd higher at idle due to no automatic trans bolted to it anymore. Almost 900RPM. I had it in my head that the factory Manual trucks would run somewhere around 800RPM idle instead of the 850 that auto trucks did.(Think a post on this site lead me to that info) also i figured i would get some sort of Anti Stall software built into the computer also. 

Anyways i swapped the ECM+PCM yesterday and what a difference. Noticeably quieter (lower) idle and the truck has anti stall software now. This truck is a totally different truck now. I can leave intersections and pull out in front of people with confidence. In cab the only difference i have noticed is the gauges do not light up trans temp on startup for 5 seconds or so anymore. The Manual PCM swap got rid of that. Just a FYI i am still running the factory Auto wiring harness and have no lights or any issues so far. Just wanted to make a quick post and say if you have done a auto to manual swap and have not matched it with the proper computers i strongly suggest doing so! Josh

Oh yeah i just bought a Quadzilla Adrenaline. I have been running the Comp for years and Mopar1973man's move to the Quad made my decision to switch and i am excited to get it in the mail . Josh

Oh yeah one more thing. I have also noticed that my Fuel pump only runs for about 1 second if that with key on before startup and the auto computers would make it run for 3 seconds or so maybe then shut off.

Welcome back!

4 hours ago, Joshschneids said:

That is a hard one. I know my Auto stuff works with the manual so i want to keep them just in case i would have a failure in the future. I do however know where there is a ECM+PCM from a 99 i believe in a local junkyard:) i could probably get them for you and ship them off if you are in desperate need:)

Thing is I'm not in desperate need as such. But I'm in the UK and if either one decided not to play I'd be in big trouble, it would be nice to have spares 

I LOVE the manual stall prevention.  I never slip my clutch with an empty truck.  I can just let it out fully in second gear then add fuel.  I can do this with my big trailer attached.  Only when I add the skid steer do I need to start in 1st gear but I use the same process, let clutch out fully before adding fuel.  With 2wd LOW in reverse, it is same thing, no clutch slipping during backing, just let clutch out.  If I am backing up a hill, after clutch is out, I may have to add some fuel, but flat backing, the idle control is the perfect speed.

Welcome back!

Hag 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haggar said:

I LOVE the manual stall prevention.  I never slip my clutch with an empty truck.  I can just let it out fully in second gear then add fuel.  I can do this with my big trailer attached.  Only when I add the skid steer do I need to start in 1st gear but I use the same process, let clutch out fully before adding fuel.  With 2wd LOW in reverse, it is same thing, no clutch slipping during backing, just let clutch out.  If I am backing up a hill, after clutch is out, I may have to add some fuel, but flat backing, the idle control is the perfect speed.

Welcome back!

Hag 

I have a NV5600 thanks for all those descriptions.  This is one of the great enginnering features on my truck that I really appreciate.  It makes it so fun to drive!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys..I'm curious to know if there is any auto computer  builders/rebuilders that could accommodate people like me who did the auto to manual swap and would like to change both the pcm and ecm ...if I'm not mistaken cummins or the dealer wants a vin number before they sell to you.

• 4 months later...
On 10/24/2020 at 11:49 PM, ColoradoColt said:

https://arestechnologies.com

I’m pretty sure if you give them a call they can help you out. Great prices. That’s where I got my ecm

Hey..I know its been awhile but I gave them a call and they toke care of me..The computer I got is working flawlessly..Just wanted to say thank you for the point in the right direction

• Like 1