• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

7x.009 or 8x.0085?

I've searched around and failed to find a thread comparing the two subject injectors (or similar). Both are listed as 100 HP injectors, which interests me a great deal. With an unknown auto transmission (I have done the Moses Ludel recommended in-frame upgrades for solenoids, servos, pistons, etc) and - for now - HY35 turbo I don't see the need to spend the extra $85 for 7x.010s. The true benefit I see to that size is that so many of you fellows with Quadzillas run them.

Some of my trips are very long, some if my trips are very short - is there a benefit to smaller, but a larger number of holes? I only have 18k pound license plates, so heavy towing isn't really a concern to me (see comment about transmission, above).

I don't see any DAP 8-hole SAC injectors, should SAP vs. VCO factor into my decision?

I doubt you would notice a difference between the two.  7 x .xxx are going to be the common hole count.  8 x .xxx's would be fine too but I have not found any that weren't $$ compared to 7 hole.   

Don't overthink it just go with a known vendor, DAP is good as always, 7 x .009's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

just go with a known vendor, DAP is good as always

Well that's the thing, both options are DAP! Just the 7-hole SAC are 12% higher than the 8-hole VCO.

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

8 x .xxx's would be fine too but I have not found any that weren't $$ compared to 7 hole.

So if the 8 VCO are cheaper than 7s, does that factor in? SACs are generally quieter at idle, right? This beast is loud enough that will weigh heavily in my decision!

2 hours ago, Threadzy said:

Was that HX to far gone once you got it apart? 

I'm still trying to find a used/cheap compressor side snap ring. Also, one or two broken bolts need to be addressed. I snapped one on the down pipe flange, not sure if there's another.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2020 at 10:19 PM, Threadzy said:

Would an HY snap ring work?

I forgot to respond to you!  I don't believe it would.  Turns out my dad has a spare HX35 lying around, so that may be going on the truck when/if I can talk him out of it.  He drives a 3rd gen now, so surely this is doable.

• Like 1

As usual, I took only half of the advice @Me78569 gave me, hopefully this turns out better than my headlight experiment.  I bought @dieselautopower units as recommended, but opted to try the 8x.0085 VCO injectors as they were less money than the 7x.009 units.  https://www.dieselautopower.com/diesel-auto-power-100hp-performance-injectors-7x0-0085-vco-vp7x85vco

The sales gentleman at DAP said that more holes leads to more haze than fewer holes; seemed backwards to me (for same horsepower) so went ahead and bought the 8-hole. We shall see!  I forgot to ask about pop pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

What did you decide on? I'm with the other guys that youl likely not notice any difference. 

I dont know what turbo your running if its stock or near stock and you tow you will have drive buy the egt gauge and moderate pedal accordingly. 

My 7x009 sac ducky injectors have worked well for 100k or more. Over half that on the hy35 pedaling off Temps while towing.

62 turbo has transformed it it a cool running mash the pedal to floor and forget it kinda truck. 

Im not on the tune Temps through computer game. I like to get mechanical and go from there.  Enough fuel and air to run cool no programmer needed 

Guess I just need to read. 

Why you pinching pennies on injectors. If a few bucks that big an issue the truck will likely run on the stock injectors for the length of our lives.

However mine payed for themselves in increased fuel mileage very quickly 

Let us know of how they turned out.

Edited by Evan

I went with the 8x.0085 VCO units.  I run an Adrenaline so will tune to keep the EGTs low; if not, the Quad can back off fuel to keep the EGTs in check.  I went with less than the 7x0.010 150HP injectors because if the Quad wigs out one day I don't want to be driving TOO big of a chimney.  I am keeping the stock reman injectors which only have about 50k miles on them so worth $100 to me.

I wouldn't say I'm pinching pennies on injectors, just "stretching my fun money budget".  By buying injectors on sale I put that 'saved' money towards either keeping my injectors or buying the HE351W (also on sale - $450 + $20 shipping).

I also have an automatic transmission that I don't want to destroy, so have not tapped the pump wire.

I'm not trying to join the tire shredding 500 HP club, but am very intrigued by Mopar1973Man's fuel mileage results from going with bigger injectors with lower (pulse width?  duration?) and higher pop pressure.  Will it ever pay for itself for me?  Almost assuredly "no!"  Especially if I have to strip it all back off under a Harris/Biden EPA.

But I don't golf, I don't travel or go to the movies, I don't collect guns or rare bourbons - a man needs a hobby, and this one is mine for now.  I have a "brewery" in my basement (currently disassembled) that I used to use even though I will never save enough money on store-bought beer to justify it.  Same kind of deal.  Just to "see if I can", or for "the experience".  I bought an Arduino Beginner's kit the other day on a whim after rereading Me78569's post about controlling a VE turbo.  I have no dreams of replicating that project, but wanted the experience of at least playing with an Arduino and learning a little something.  Just fun money.

• Owner

Either one is fine. I'm trying ti get my tune back in action I was hitting 19 to 20 MPG pretty constant then down the truck over a month and now I'm trying to catch up again 16 to 17 MPH sucks big. Today I'll finish off the my Blue Top Steering install. Then run to McCcall and get a new crank seal and do that over again she is slobbered all over herself with at least a full quart of oil.

7 x 0.009 or your 8 x 0.0085 still smaller than what I run with the 7 x 0.010. The 8 hole would be interesting wider spray.