• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Building a he351 standalone controller

Hi everyone as I'm relatively new to this I would like to say thanks for the add I have been researching on making a standalone controller for my 351 vgt I was going the lilbb route but the website no longer works you can't buy anything and cannot register to ask in their forum and I seen the write-up in this form which is very detailed and thorough but my main question is has anyone done it here that still runs it and did you run lbb's box or build your own? I'm looking for the breadboard to build the lbbs box cause I have everything to solder it into it

Actually isn't really all that hard, if you can type numbers in boxes and add a few sensors, you can do a lot. The hard work has already been done by others and posted in various places. Starting from a fully mechanical no extra sensor 12V is going to be a bit of a time sink. I consider it a hobby as my truck is a ....... forth? vehicle and is only used for trailers or farm. A little down time isn't going do anything more than a minor annoyance for me.

Still, if you were to start tinkering, it wouldn't be hard to get everything set up and tested/working on the bench and install everything in a weekend.

It is a fun turbo. 

The problem with a stand alone controller on a 12V, or at least 1st gens and manual 12V 2nd gens is that there are literally no sensors that one would typically use to control such a thing, primarily; boost pressure and throttle position. Rpm may be able to be pulled from a 2nd gen computer, unsure on a 1st gen. In any case, none of those sensors are particularly hard to add in or source. You won't necessarily need all of those, but a throttle position is required for any level of autonomy (other than it trying to maximize boost constantly), boost would be a close second or equal, and RPM is going to make it more friendly but is not required. The turbo has vane position and shaft speed built in. Once you are in the ballpark with the sensor/s added, the rest is just some basic wiring and plugging in numbers. 

How much time is it worth to you?

Edited by That Guy

Thanks for the info I take it you have some experience in this field? I have been doing a lot of research over the past year and I have sensors already for drive pressure boost factory I have the crank speed sensor and I'm going to hook up a throttle position sensor in the near future I just had questions on this form building it with the Arduino and can bus shields everything seems pretty straightforward but I have some questions on the max 9924 chip and wiring it into the equation

What specifically do you need to know about wiring? Why specifically the 9924? I haven't worked with that chip in particular, but I could certainly provide some insight. Using it for turbo rpm?

Had one on my 12V for a while. Started to build a controller, life got in way. Getting back to it eventually.

PLC's and radio are a bit of a family tradition

Edited by That Guy

That's awesome man and I only bought the 9924 chip because on this form and lilbb's web page they both used it and yes for counting turbo RPM and I'm just getting into electronics like this so it's all new for me in just going off of what I research because I don't know anyone that has knowledge in this field of work

So being new to this I'm not 100% sure what the datasheet is if it is in this form in a write-up I've reviewed it I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of it the only question I have is the output of the 9924 chip  #7 how I soldered the resistor and whatever IO8 is 8 know after that it goes to the pin in the Arduino\canbus shields hears a screen shot of what I'm talking about

Screenshot_20201230203204.png

On 12/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, Varrieablefirstgen said:

Hi everyone as I'm relatively new to this I would like to say thanks for the add I have been researching on making a standalone controller for my 351 vgt I was going the lilbb route but the website no longer works you can't buy anything and cannot register to ask in their forum and I seen the write-up in this form which is very detailed and thorough but my main question is has anyone done it here that still runs it and did you run lbb's box or build your own? I'm looking for the breadboard to build the lbbs box cause I have everything to solder it into it

York,PA. Welcome from the other side of the river. That's all the help I can give you on this subject😊.

11 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I dont honestly remember %100.  I think you tie in a 5 volt source to the pin 7 using a 10k resistor.  Then the pin 7 goes to your arduino sensor input pin.  

I agree.

244786896_max9924a2.JPG.28c00dcb9ca8b44dac9c0640d9731e8f.JPG

This is a datasheet. Provides information on the chip and some theory of operation and how it should be wired in a circuit. 

https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX9924-MAX9927.pdf

Because I would solder the micro chip to the board and it would all look good but there would be 2 pins connected from the solder so I would try and pull the solder out and cause another set of pins to connect and it was a never ending cycle and from multiple times desoldering the chip to restart one of the ground pins broke off so I decided to go to a bigger 9924 chip it'll be easier for me to solder

The easiest way to solder surface mount is with a hot air base station and a pair of ceramic tip tweezers. Barring that, the tiniest tip on a traditional iron make work. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have sourcing a non surface mount version. You are far from the first to struggle with this particular chip.