• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Blinker Relay

After thinking my blinker issue was due to the multifunction switch, I figured out it was the relay.... so another 20 bucks later and I picked one up at Napa...and I hate it...

It sounds really dinky....and has a slight delay from when I turn the switch on to when the blinker starts to flash. Is there a relay that sounds and functions like our stock ones do?

The only other thing I'm trying to do is sand the copper contacts inside the older relay to see if it will start working again properly....it blinks and then stops, then will randomly start blinking again, then stop...

Obviously this is not a serious issue, but when you are used to something for almost a decade and then it changes and sounds cheap...well you know...

1 hour ago, Alexio Auditore said:

The only other thing I'm trying to do is sand the copper contacts inside the older relay to see if it will start working again properly.

Sanding the contacts may seem like a good idea, but there is a special coating of only a few 10,0000 of an inch thick on each contact that allows for the electrical cleaning of the contacts when the flasher operates.  Sanding will remove that coating (which is probably gone already), so the fix will only be temporary.

- John

• Staff
  • Owner

Working fine for 2 years and counting. LEDs in both front marker and rear tail lights. Still flashing at a normal rate. I'm still using switch bulbs in the front that turn white light with parking lamps and then turn amber with any turn signal or hazards being used. I'm planning to remove the tail light fuse and reducing down to smaller like 2.5 amp or so. Better protection for the light load LED's. Don't need 15A or 20A fuse any longer. These bulbs are like 0.2 Amps a piece. Even 4 bulbs (marker lights) that is barely 0.8 Amps for all the marker lights. 

2 hours ago, Alexio Auditore said:

so I asked about the heavy duty and LEDs, one of the guys at napa said they have an LED flasher, and that the heavy duty one wouldn't work because LEDs use less power. How does that all work? 

The OEM flasher requires a specific electrical to pass through the unit.  The purpose is to let the driver know if a bulb is out (electrical load is reduced and flasher will flash rapidly)  The heavy duty flasher requires a minimum electrical load.  Even if one LED bulb is installed in the turn signal circuit, the reduced electrical load will cause the flasher to flash rapidly.

The LED emergency hazard / turn signal flasher works properly with all incandescent bulb, all LED's, or a mix of both.  

I purchased the unit below at Autozone.  The LED flasher sound level is slightly quieter than OEM and the cadence is slightly faster than OEM.  I slowly switched over to all LED"s and the unit has performed flawlessly for over a year now.

- John

image.png.b191d5f3c86123d745ca756a14a14115.png

• Thanks 1