• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Torque Converter Acting Weird

I forgot is cps on a 5volt reference circuit ? That shares other sensors like oil sending unit. I remember @Me78569 had an issue with something, oil sensor was internally shortened out and messing with the 5 volt reference. 

Or it could be your tone ring on the crankshaft, there were others that had this issue with the tone ring coming loose. I think you could see the tone ring through the sensor hole, maybe try rotating the engine while you looking inside, at the same time using a screwdriver see if that ring is loose. I'm not saying stick a screwdriver in there and turn the engine, I'm sure you know that. 

I hope its not the tone ring coming off.  That dont sound like a fun fix... :pray:

I did notice yesterday that it only happens when the engine is cold once it warms up (above 140) it dont happen...  Here we go again. 

I will start another topic on this to keep things tidy on the forum.

Well, the gremlins are back.  Same issue, when I step on the brake the TC disengages and immediately re-engages even though my foot is on the brake.  The only time that it will disengage and stay off is if I am below 45ish MPH.   The only thing I did was disconnect the grounds while I removed the starter when I did the CKP sensor.  Still seems like there is a bad ground somewhere.  The hunt continues...

• 1 year later...

Well, after 2 years this issue has returned.  Same issue.  TC locks up and will only unlock if I put my foot on the brake or if under about 42mph.  If over 45ish and I put my foot on the brake it will unlock and as soon as I take my foot off the brake it locks back up harshly.  The only way it will stay unlocked is if I keep my foot on the brake until the speed is below the 42ish mark.  We did just have a bunch of snow a few days before this started happening.  The same thing happened the last time.  Coincidence?   I'm thinking when all that snow melts it allows water to get into the PCM somehow :shrug:

I will be pulling it into the garage this weekend to go through the grounds again and to fix the PCM ground splices that @IBMobile recommends.  I'll reinstall dielectric grease into the PCM plugs too.  Fingers crossed!