• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Garage LorenS 2018 Ecodiesel Thread

Today I picked up my new to me 2018 2WD Ram 1500 SLT with the Ecodiesel and 8-speed auto. For a newer vehicle it's a darn low trim package, even has manual seats! I think it's supposed to have heated mirrors. It supposedly came with tow package, but there's no 2" receiver, so...? Has 7-way plug and factory brake controller.

Dash readout claims to have only 800 hours combined idle and drive time, but has 50,500miles! Something isn't right. New engine or ECM already?

A 49-state tune is high on priority list, from Green Diesel Engineering. It's pretty spendy, but they have to recoup their EPA compliance testing somehow, I suppose.

So far I'm amazed at the things that seemingly aren't available, like a factory service manual, and Donaldson or Fleetguard filters.  Most of the filters are just pleated, not the fancy synthetic material!  Both oil and fuel.  Strange coming from Cummins or small block Chevy where there's a billion choices.

KIMG0349.JPG

KIMG0348.JPG

Edited by LorenS
Added two photos for Dripley :)
  • Like 1

I was going to snake some of the pretty pictures from the dealer's website but they're already taken down :duh:. I'll get some up later, may edit the post to do so.

Here's the "hitch"...? A Curt hitch is also on the short list of expenses.

KIMG0343.JPG

KIMG0346.JPG

KIMG0344.JPG

KIMG0345.JPG

Two photos have been added to original post.

I must say it's a little underwhelming in the giddy-up-and-go department compared my 01 with Adrenaline on Level 3. But, it also rides like a cloud compared to the '01!

Edited by LorenS

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Very odd design on the engine. Would of been better with 4BT Cummins.

Can't really disagree on that.  Or at least some other engine or engine design with a longer track history of longevity.
Not sure if this engine has been around long, but at least it's a USA company:
https://demanddetroit.com/engines/dd5/

It does weight 1200 pounds, so that would be a big issue in 1/2 Ton class!  The 36 month / 250k mile warranty would be great for you hot-shot guys.

Edited by LorenS

• Staff

800 hours means an average of 63 mph, so it's possible that someone spent the life of the truck on the interstate. How many idle hours?

Odd hitch setup for sure. Have you looked up the window sticker?

Edited by AH64ID

It's a TOTAL of 800 hours, that's what's crazy!  The idle hours are over 200, so the driving hours puts it at over 86 MPH average speed!  Clearly something ain't right.  CARFAX showed no history of something like this, but there are a couple of dealer entries of "vehicle service".   Other dealer entries were very specific.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, LorenS said:

It's a TOTAL of 800 hours, that's what's crazy!  The idle hours are over 200, so the driving hours puts it at over 86 MPH average speed!  Clearly something ain't right.  CARFAX showed no history of something like this, but there are a couple of dealer entries of "vehicle service".   Other dealer entries were very specific.

Yeah that doesn't sound correct. I wonder if the drive hours have reset, as I've heard about on some of the HD trucks with the standard dash.  It always happens at 1092 hours. Idle hours don't reset. So that would put you at 1892 hours and an average of 26 mph. 

I think this might be the hitch you need.. Reese towpower class IV

image.png.b98e9739f1b3e56f5bb2d2c857ac5f20.png

It looks like a chrome packaged tradesman.. that would explain the manual seats..

15 hours ago, LorenS said:

I must say it's a little underwhelming in the giddy-up-and-go department compared my 01 with Adrenaline on Level 3. But, it also rides like a cloud compared to the '01!

thought the same thing when I had mine. but hold the thought until after the tune.

3 hours ago, LorenS said:

Can't really disagree on that.  Or at least some other engine or engine design with a longer track history of longevity.
Not sure if this engine has been around long, but at least it's a USA company:
https://demanddetroit.com/engines/dd5/

Sorry but the EcoDiesel is by VM Motori not Detroit. It's a 3.0 v6.. nevermind.. reread and I think you are implying an option not what it is.. Detroit DD5 is a 5.1L 4 cyl.. 4bt on steroids right there :stuned:

14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Very odd design on the engine. Would of been better with 4BT Cummins.

How is it odd? genuinely curious.. and the 4BT or R2.8 probably would have been better, agreed.

I wonder what one of these Kohler engines costs.  Would be WAY more horsepower than my 1986 6.2L Blazer!

https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/product/kdi3404tcr-scr-141hp

1 hour ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

I think this might be the hitch you need

I think you're right.  Curt makes something similar.  When I looked up the 'scratch and dents' on Amazon, it wasn't much more to get a full Class IV Curt hitch than the little bolt-on deal you show.  I don't mind the hitch being visible versus hidden behind the bumper, so I ordered it.

My GreenDieselEngineering.com EPA compliant (49 state) tune has been ordered!  A lot of money.  I wish I could just delete it (or at least turn off EGR), but with the EPA cracking down on dealers and installers, it's just a matter of time until the vehicle owners start getting whacked, too.  If I never left Missouri or Kansas (though that's still crossing state lines), I'd strongly consider it.  With my 2001 if they confiscate my Adrenaline I can put the plugs back together and drive on with my stock injectors.

This tune is supposed to be quite worth it in the long run for DPF life and reduced regens.  At less cost than a replacement DPF, I decided to buy this tune.

• Staff

I wonder if the 3.0 is like the HD’s and will regen based on run time or  DPF status. 

On my 2018 I’ve never seen a regen trigger that wasn’t based on the 24 hour max time

between regens. I had one today. Often my DPF back pressure doesn’t change much from pre regen to post regen based on how I drive it. I’m not sure I can adjust that max time between regens with tuning software, so it makes me wonder if the 3.0 doesn’t have it or if they simply reduce DPF fill % for certain types of driving. 

On 7/20/2021 at 8:49 PM, LorenS said:

I was going to snake some of the pretty pictures from the dealer's website but they're already taken down :duh:. I'll get some up later, may edit the post to do so.

Here's the "hitch"...? A Curt hitch is also on the short list of expenses.

KIMG0343.JPG

KIMG0346.JPG

KIMG0344.JPG

KIMG0345.JPG

Kinda makes you wonder if this was a rental truck, like from enterprise or something, They are known to take hitches off so people don’t tow with them, The mileage is in line with their trade out criteria too