• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rv/Solar install

Threadzy

I’ve had a solar system with one 100w panel.  I want to get it mounted to my travel trailers roof. 2017 Forest river Grey wolf.  I want to install everything clean. Meaning nothing hanging over the side. Everything except the panel of course ran through and mounted inside the trailer.  Does anyone have pictures of their install and advise on doing this? Later on I will add more panels. 
Thanks! 

I am in the process of adding 2 100w panels to my roof, right now I have one 100w. Panel with a 50ft cord that’s mounted to a frame that I can move where I need it on the ground, but personally I think permanent roof mount is the best bet, as that goes I’m still able to use my portable if needed, The roof seems to pick up the best all around sun rays, which is also good if keeping batteries charged during storage.

As far as stringing the cable, I have a satellite dome on the roof,    I ran the TV cable through a 1 1/2 conduit I drilled through the roof ( ya I know it sucks drilling through roof but you do what you have too ) inside of a closet, I used the large size conduit for future solar panel cable routing, I have a sealed junction box on the roof that the conduit is mounted too, and inside the closet it runs down to the basement ( it’s s fifth wheel) where all the connections are in the battery and storage compartment, along with all that I Used Dicor sealant on all the screw holes and cable clamp screws on the roof,

Ive also heard of people using a roof vent stack for cable routing, but wouldn’t work for my lay out, but maybe an option  for you 

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:11 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Just don't mount the panels to the roof of the RV. If you park the RV in the shade the solar won't work. Best to have the panels free standing and not on the roof. I've got my panels as free standing and I can chase the sun with the panels but the RV can be parked in the shade.

You can have the best of both worlds by installing a Splitter on the cable connections and a second panel to string out if needed, Ive experienced both roof top and on the ground, the roof top is by far more convenient and picks up better rays IMHO