• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Motor swap 02 pickup with 98.5 motor

So I know there was a thread on this back in 2016 but reading into the document it looks like the guy who made the thread never really did the swap just stated what he thought needed to be done so bringin this back i have an 02 6 speed truck which unfortunately has snapped the crank ripping the main caps out and cracking the block, and me not knowing it was a headache to swap ended up snagging a 99 motor for it, well instead of loosin my you know what on trying to sell this damn thing and finding another has anyone done this successfully without it being a huge headache again i am trying to put a 98.5 24v in the 02 chassis, thanks again!

Wes,

I am sure a couple others that know will chime in.  The long blocks are basically identical.  It comes into needing to move things like Cam sensor (i think your 02 has) and the 99 block does not (nor provision for) so swapping things like timing cover housing etc.   It's not a drop in replacement, but good pre planning will get you going just fine.  

Think of it this way.  the long blocks are the same.  All the electronics need to be what the 02 had.  So you list out and change everything to do with the electronics from the 02 to the 99 long block.

HTH

Hag

Pretty much what @Haggar said. Hard parts would be the timing cover (I think) and damper for sure.

Also you have an HO motor, and are going to an SO motor. Might have some compatibility issues there too. Its not just a vp44. Pistons (HO is higher compression), injectors, injection pump, and programing are all different. Just letting you you know due to not knowing how much swapping between engines you are doing.

BTW, how did you snap a crank in one of these?

• Owner

The biggest problem is the crank / cam sensors from early to converting to later with cam only sensor. The gear case is wrong because the sensor location and the tone wheel on the cam is wrong. This forces you to change the cam and gear housing for proper operation. Other that that your engine will be in limp mode constantly. There is only 1 notch in the cam and this will display as a extremely low RPM and doesn't match up with the VP44 (P1690 code). Once you change the cam the tone ring will be correct but the gear case has to change too because the location of the tone ring is in a different position. Hence why these parts need changing. 

• Like 1

So if i put my 02 cam in it and 02 gear housing and swap map sensors i should be good there? What about the crank gear, I thought there was a different tooth count? Maybe im wrong I guess other than that if someone knew the complete list of part change outs needed to be done to have a successfuly running truck

• Owner
23 hours ago, Wesley6842 said:

So if i put my 02 cam in it and 02 gear housing and swap map sensors i should be good there? What about the crank gear, I thought there was a different tooth count? Maybe im wrong I guess other than that if someone knew the complete list of part change outs needed to be done to have a successfuly running truck

Basically its just best to have all the 2002 stuff. Engine loom, ECM and PCM, then change the cam and gear, then the gear case too. Then everything works totally normally. All the wiring is right. There is differences between ECM and PCM then there might be other weird issues. 98.5 to 2000 is a single tooth cam gear just for TDC marker that is all. Take note that the single tooth is on the outer gear rim.

image.png

Now look at later series... The tone wheel is inside the rim hence why the gear case change...

image.png

The crank sensor was later relocated from the crank to the cam and the old cam sensor done away with (clear as mud I know). You would have to look at wiring maps and you'll see the crank wiring was relocated to the cam, the the old cam sensor is not connected in the ECM plug any more. Hence its just best to have the full wiring loom. Again because of software differences PCM might not talk to the newer ECM because of communication differences and how data is sent. This is why its best to have both the ECM and PCM now reflashed for the newer software and matching this will reduce communication errors and issues. 

Now 98.5 to 2000... ECM plug.

image.png

Now 2000 to 2002 ECM plug... Take notice that the old Cam Sensor lead is open now and no longer used but the crank sense is renamed to Cam sensor but its still wired to the Crank sensor pin in the ECM. Pin 9 has no wire...

image.png