• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Radiator leak

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Do you have any radiator shops that can custom make you one aluminum

That aluminum radiator from RockAuto has horrible reviews

I only know of one radiator shop local ish to me and all they do is recores on brass copper, I asked them to take the ends off of a rad that I again bought for next to nothing brand new and the tanks were very badly dented (another shipping damaged peice)  they took them off and dropped them back to me and I straightened all the dents out  and basically made them look brand new, I dropped the tanks back to them for them to solder them back on, the idiots had ripped a huge chunk of the fins out trying to get one area to seal, radiator basically unsaleable, was for a 68 or 69 charger, still have it in my workshop gathering dust waiting for me to find a section of fins from somewhere, it doesn't leak but it looks like a pigs ear.

Worst thing was I very nearly soldered them back on myself, wished I had I'd have made a better job so a custom aluminium rad for less than £700 I doubt, here in the UK our manufacturing base is all but extinct

I looked at the rock ally one but it was not in stock when I looked.... glad it wasn't if the reviews are not good, the Mishi has good reviews only bad one I have read was shipping damage and that was bent fins ( I have a radiator comb) and a bent mounting bracket ( I could fix that)

• Sad 1

• Owner
3 hours ago, Sycostang67 said:

I watch Greg Alberalla on youtube, he builds Cummins trucks for himself and always uses Mishimoto radiators and intercoolers.  Been watching him for years and he's never had an issue with any of them.   

I would hope so for $713 radiator... :thud: I can buy 5 OE radiators at $140 a piece and most likely go even farther... I've got 436k miles on my truck and only had to buy 1 radiator in the total of 19 years. Next radiator will be somewhere around 600k miles roughly and still only be $280 dollar spent on just radiators. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would hope so for $713 radiator... :thud: I can buy 5 OE radiators at $140 a piece and most likely go even farther... I've got 436k miles on my truck and only had to buy 1 radiator in the total of 19 years. Next radiator will be somewhere around 600k miles roughly and still only be $280 dollar spent on just radiators. 

Yes you could buy 5 OE radiators but you are NOT 3000miles + away from a replacement when the cheapo chinese plastic cracks again, or arrives damaged, and an OE radiator is not £400 to your door, I've always tried to buy the best I can afford for both my rams due to the above.

And really when you look at the OE radiator it is rubbish

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I get the VAT tax and distance thing... Trust me I do being most everything I need out here is still needs to be shipped here. I hope you luck on getting the new one hopefully undamaged too. 

Thing is it may arrive with damage but ally is much more robust and fixable than plastic.

Trust me I mulled it over for over a month cos you are right $700 is a big pill to swallow but for me the ally rad is the way to go..... hopefully last the truck and me out

• 2 weeks later...

Well after the second arrival at Summit date change I cancelled the mishimoto, my decision was only based on the fact it could not have possibly got here until January and while I have a lot of Cat ELC coolant in stock the leak is getting worse and although my truck is mostly a work/tow truck when the phone rings I'm towing my workshop trailer and off fixing mobile plant, I have no other option as my 3500 is parked.

I had decided on the mishi as everywhere I looked said MIUSA  BUT when I cancelled the Summit order I got another screen come up that I have never seen before (never cancelled before). It had a reference to china, can't get to see it now as order has progressed to cancelled but after doing some searching it looks like designed in Delaware and made guess where

I'm definetly not paying somewhere around £900 to my door for a radiator MIC and I don't care if the queen designed it

Looks like it's a R/A cheapy which will be MIC but a lot cheaper and easier to swallow than £900

18 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. :rolleyes:

Doesn't surprise me either but what does is the amount of sellers that quote MIUSA, now that really does bug me big time

Cheapest so far is ebay at £231

The more I think about it the more I think fit the Northern Radiator I have at least back in 04 to 09 when I bought it into the uk it was MIUSA, it's 19x36 3 core and IIRC small block Mopar pattern with drivers upper passenger lower, only thing is the passenger lower is right at the bottom whereas the cummins is higher and there is no brackets but I can fix that.

Here's a question,,,,, IF I fit this Northern Radiator it does come with a aluminium fan shrould with twin electric fans and the fans aren't mickey mouse, I need to measure them and find the cfm but will they cool enough, does anyone else use just electric fans ? it's the UK here not death valley either

Thinking about it the rad is the same as would be for a BB Mopar as in 440 just with the upper and lower the other way around and the fans are what would be specced for a BB 440 and that rad and fan combo more than keeps a 440 cool

I’ve always wondered if you could mount a dual electric fan set up on the front side (condenser/trans cooler) as pusher fans, and then another dual set on the back side as puller fans in place of the stock mechanical fan/shroud. I have a flex a lite 16” on my 4th gen as an auxiliary for stop/go in the summer. It definitely doesn’t move air like the belt driven fan, but maybe 4 of them teaming up could? Of course after you factor in the cost, time, wiring, and power upgrades needed, the juice might not be worth the squeeze. Either way I’m a fan of having an electric auxiliary fan, especially for the 2nd gen auto trans cooler for things like idling through a field on a 100 degree day in July loading hay on a gooseneck flatbed. That was the only time I’ve ever had my transmission temp light come on. Shifting to low range usually negates that, but having air move over the cooler even with a little 8” fan helps.

59 minutes ago, Andyba20 said:

I’ve always wondered if you could mount a dual electric fan set up on the front side (condenser/trans cooler) as pusher fans, and then another dual set on the back side as puller fans in place of the stock mechanical fan/shroud. I have a flex a lite 16” on my 4th gen as an auxiliary for stop/go in the summer. It definitely doesn’t move air like the belt driven fan, but maybe 4 of them teaming up could? Of course after you factor in the cost, time, wiring, and power upgrades needed, the juice might not be worth the squeeze. Either way I’m a fan of having an electric auxiliary fan, especially for the 2nd gen auto trans cooler for things like idling through a field on a 100 degree day in July loading hay on a gooseneck flatbed. That was the only time I’ve ever had my transmission temp light come on. Shifting to low range usually negates that, but having air move over the cooler even with a little 8” fan helps.

100f would be around 37 c     never see that here in the UK, 30c is  "quick the world is going to end" we are surrounded by sea so temps are relatively  stable all year with a swing of 40c from 30c down to -10c and the -10 is a 1 in a ten year

Got to wait for the Summit refund as thats a pile of ££ and then decide again

• Owner
20 hours ago, wil440 said:

100f would be around 37 c     never see that here in the UK, 30c is  "quick the world is going to end" we are surrounded by sea so temps are relatively  stable all year with a swing of 40c from 30c down to -10c and the -10 is a 1 in a ten year

Must be nice... Across the pond here in Idaho USA it can reach over 110*F (43*C) then fall as deep as -40*F (-40*C). Which I've seen both extremes here in the last 30 years of living in Idaho. I will admit I would love to just visit over there to understand and sample the lifestyle once. 

20 hours ago, wil440 said:

Got to wait for the Summit refund as thats a pile of ££ and then decide again

Hope it works out better this time.

26 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I will admit I would love to just visit over there to understand and sample the lifestyle once. 

Only a plane ride away, might give a bit though till this covid stuff has gone away

Everyone should have a proper Full English Breakfast and  a Sunday Roast once in their lives :)

Biggest Full English I ever ate was as follows

4 rashers of bacon (not you thin stuff but our bacon)

4 pork sausages (again our sausages)

4 fried eggs

4 hash browns

4 thick slices of fried bread

4 thick slices of buttered toast

4 thick slices of bread/butter

Beans

Tomatoes 

Fried mushrooms

Oh and a coffee, had to be finished in 15 minutes which I did was as full as a bulls foot for 2 days, cost £7.50 but if you did it you got another free so actually did it twice

Seriously if anyone is planning holidaying here I can point you in the right directions and away from the tourist crap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Owner
3 minutes ago, wil440 said:

Everyone should have a proper Full English Breakfast and  a Sunday Roast once in their lives :)

Ok that sounds good...

4 minutes ago, wil440 said:

Biggest Full English I ever ate was as follows

4 rashers of bacon (not you thin stuff but our bacon)

4 pork sausages (again our sausages)

4 fried eggs

4 hash browns

4 thick slices of fried bread

4 thick slices of buttered toast

4 thick slices of bread/butter

Beans

Tomatoes 

Fried mushrooms

Oh and a coffee, had to be finished in 15 minutes which I did was as full as a bulls foot for 2 days, cost £7.50 but if you did it you got another free so actually did it twice

:stuned::wow: I better go hungry for about 2 days first... 

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Ok that sounds good...

:stuned::wow: I better go hungry for about 2 days first... 

That was just a eating challenge I stumbled upon we have roadside caravan eateries all over the place in laybys which are parking areas off of main roads, we don't have as many truck stops like you , we do have motorway service stations but you wouldn't eat in those way too expensive and garbage food anyway, the roadside stuff is a little like your food trucks, some are great and some are rubbish

This particular one was the most horrible looking EX mobile home converted to a cafe right next to a waste transfer station ( this is a very large building where area household waste/garbage goes to to get sorted) I'd been there working on a Cat loading shovel which had broken down INSIDE the building, this is when I worked for the UK Cat dealer, the doors are not allowed to be open other than to let garbage trucks in/out it's like a landfil but inside and it stinks..... surprisingly when I had finished the repair and was outside in the fresher air I could have ate the wheels off of my van

Oh I forgot there was also 4 slices of black pudding on the breakfast too

Refund from Summit finally arrived in my account and because of currency changes it is £30 odd less than I paid to start with SO Summit had my money from over a month and it cost me £30 now ain't that great, that's twice now as the original Mishimoto I bought off of ebay which was cancelled by the seller cost me about £5 due to currency 

Ordered a stock radiator off of ebay shipped by Ebays GSP for £233 which is $308 to my door with all taxes paid, might be here before xmas and just might arrive undamaged

2 hours ago, Max Tune said:

I give you credit for all the hoops you have to jump through to keep your truck on the road. Don't think I could do it.

4 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

:iagree: What a PITA!

But if it was easy and cheap everyone here would be doing it, American cars/trucks are hobby vehicles here, I guess some do use them for day to day work as I do but that's a minority

I only now of 5 in the area I live in other than my 2 rams, 1 mid 70's Ford F150 1/4 mile away, 1 80's chevy blazer 4x4 1/4 mile away, 1 90's chevy astro van a mile or so away, my brothers 56 Ford F100, a 40's F100 about 8 mile away.

Although I dropped of 5 brake calipers for Rams at a local shot blaster that I have never used before (In my truck as it's my DD) and the guy has a 60's W300 he's putting a P pump Cummins in and a W200, he says he's going to use a ZF manual box as finding a 47re here is impossible which it is, P pump Cummins were used quite a bit here in 7.5tonne trucks  (15k to 17k lb trucks)

Believe it or not there is quite a scene summer time here, shows ,meets, swap meets, drag racing guess it started in and after WW2 and got bigger with the US airbases here which was the best place to buy American vehicles, a lot of the parts places here are or were close to US air bases

Anyone visiting here that's into cars/trucks check out Americana at Newark or the Mopar Muscle Association yearly meet at Santa Pod end of July and if you don't know what Santa Pod is check that out ( Nowt to do with what you think it might be)