• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Low power highway speeds

I have the preface this post with: great community here with an insane wealth of knowledge and skill. This forum has been a time and money saver numerous times. All contributors are much appreciated. 

I encountered an interesting problem on the way home from work today. I had very little “guts” at highway speeds. I normally set cruise control around 70 and have plenty of power to accelerate up to 80+ without hesitation. Today I basically had to floor it and it felt like someone sapped the power right out of her. 

When I got home I poked around the engine bay a bit. Made sure I had good vacuum connections. Nothing out of the ordinary. 

I took her back out with my wifi ODB monitor hooked up. The truck was right back to Normal. No issues at all. Plenty of power.  Screenshots attached. 

what do you guys think? What should I be looking for if this issue comes back? Thoughts?

I have a full suite of gauges coming in this week. Fuel pressure, EGT, trans temp and boost. Hopefully if it happens again I can have more info to pass along. 

2001 2500 4x4 47re leveled on 34s. Engine/drivetrain is stock except for an edge EZ. 

6057996A-A619-4E63-B57A-75A0FE02E50B.png

3939E6AA-0618-4A36-93A2-95F0F37F09F7.png

1 hour ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

22 psi seems awfully high at 1800 rpm with only 30% throttle..

Vacuum doesn't matter as much on a diesel..

Intake MAP is 36.83 psia, so minus 14.7 for 22.13 psig.. 0.2 psi is enough to account for elevation.. 

Any codes set? I wonder if your timing went wonky in the vp44..  

no codes. Truck is acting normal. I commute to work 2 days a week so I’ll keep the OBD reader running and see if it comes back. 

• Owner

So on boost values it's difficult to read with any OBDII live data tool. Being it not simple math. Now as for testing I would ohm test between the MAP plug and ECM plug. Should be 0 ohm no more than 5 ohms. Now with both plugs unhooked you need to test between a pin and ground to verify no shorts to ground. It should read infinite ohms. If all that checks out I would consider new MAP sensor and possibly having the ECM tested.

Also I seen you have a Edge EZ it's possible the module got water in it and the circuit board will be corroded. It's also possible the boost fooler is shot. Try unplugging all that and test again.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 7:25 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

So on boost values it's difficult to read with any OBDII live data tool. Being it not simple math. Now as for testing I would ohm test between the MAP plug and ECM plug. Should be 0 ohm no more than 5 ohms. Now with both plugs unhooked you need to test between a pin and ground to verify no shorts to ground. It should read infinite ohms. If all that checks out I would consider new MAP sensor and possibly having the ECM tested.

Also I seen you have a Edge EZ it's possible the module got water in it and the circuit board will be corroded. It's also possible the boost fooler is shot. Try unplugging all that and test again.

I’ll check all this tomorrow. I appreciate the info. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to checking everything. MAP to ECM rings good and no shorts. Cleaned all the connections with some isopropyl and added some silicone to the rubber gaskets. Took apart the edge EZ. Nearly the entire unit is potted with only a few components visible. Nothing out of the ordinary. I cleaned and siliconed the connections. The problem still has not come back but if it does I’ll update the post. Is there a particular brand of MAP I should consider?