• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel in Oil, not sure what to do!

• Owner

When you do make sure to have everything ready to look shortly after start up. Have the valve cover off, have the vent cover off the gear case, pull the fan or fan belt so you can look in the gear case for dye. Being that the oil from the head drains back to the tappet area and the VP44 gets splash fed from the gears you could possibly see dye in all places in a short order so be set up for the dye and have all the stuff setup for adding the dye. Then in the first few minutes pay close attention where your seeing dye. Also if dye is visible then shut down because again you have dye running every where is a short time.  

Thank you all for this good knowledge! So change oil first before starting her again and then do the dye in the fuel filter? Once that happens, use the UV light up top and see if I see it there. If not, would I be able to see in the crank breather if removed and see if fuel went to there directly from the VP seal? Also, what’s the specific name of the seal? And is there any chance I’d see the dye up top due to oil being pumped up there from the rest of the engine and maybe it came from the vp seal?

also, from the top seeing fuel or dye, can I differentiate if it’s solely the injector o ring, injector itself, etc, or if it’s only the crossover tube? I just don’t want to replace only the tubes and I rings there and then it be a physical injector if that makes sense.

• Owner
30 minutes ago, YeaImDylan said:

If not, would I be able to see in the crank breather if removed and see if fuel went to there directly from the VP seal?

Yes if the fan was removed or the belt was. You will be able to see the fuel push through. Of course the whole ares behind the gear would light up from the UV dye and black light. Again the time will be short between the time its start till it possibly got dye everywhere. The reason I know this I use the same kind of dye  and black light for A/C work.

34 minutes ago, YeaImDylan said:

Also, what’s the specific name of the seal?

Shaft seal. VP44 shaft seal. 

36 minutes ago, YeaImDylan said:

And is there any chance I’d see the dye up top due to oil being pumped up there from the rest of the engine and maybe it came from the vp seal?

Yes. This is why the time is short because once the dye makes it to the oil it will be everywhere in a few seconds then the test will show fuel everywhere in a short time. This why you want the fan belt removed, gear case vent removed, valve cover removed so you can monitor all this stuff in a few minutes and see where the dye is coming from.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes if the fan was removed or the belt was. You will be able to see the fuel push through. Of course the whole ares behind the gear would light up from the UV dye and black light. Again the time will be short between the time its start till it possibly got dye everywhere. The reason I know this I use the same kind of dye  and black light for A/C work.

Shaft seal. VP44 shaft seal. 

Yes. This is why the time is short because once the dye makes it to the oil it will be everywhere in a few seconds then the test will show fuel everywhere in a short time. This why you want the fan belt removed, gear case vent removed, valve cover removed so you can monitor all this stuff in a few minutes and see where the dye is coming from.

All good advice,                     on spotting what if anything is leaking  under the rocker cover you should be able to see if it's crossovers or injectors especially if you have a helper on the key and as M34M says be quick, I've never had to use dye in fuel but my guess is it's a good bright colour, A/C dye here is bright frog green

Good luck

• Owner
3 hours ago, wil440 said:

I've never had to use dye in fuel but my guess is it's a good bright colour, A/C dye here is bright frog green

Yup. Exactly what I get too in the USA. The problem is when your leaking from one media (fuel) to a second media (oil) eventually all the oil will be polluted with UV dye and look like everything has dye leaking out. This why you got to be set up at the time of adding the dye because a time later the entire crankcase will be full of the dye. You'll end up changing oil all over again to get rid the dye to start over. 

Well my belt is off currently so the fan won't be an issue. I'm thinking of checking the crank vent first since that's where dye would hit first I'd assume for a few seconds and then check up top. How much dye until it's an issue for internals that need oil? I'm REALLY not trying to do another oil change since I'm already about to change it and just changed it like 600 miles ago :rolleyes:

59 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

You'll find engine oil leaks.

When I first read that, that is just what I thought

BUT, modifying the statement somewhat to " add dye to engine oil of a totally different colour"  and another totally different colour to the fuel

using dye in the fuel would work great if the engine oil was black and ready for changing, dye EO black and use a really bright colour for fuel, not sure though how expensive the dye is

Although I could be talking utter rubbish as I've never had to use dye looking for fuel leaks as in large construction plant is that destructive to have fuel in EO that you just dive in and change parts, starting with low pressure fuel  pump (Cat as it's driven and leaks internal) injectors/injector seals and any tubes then high pressure fuel pump and then head, although LP FP or injectors usually gets it 

• Like 1