Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Surging while driving

If this truck was purchased used, I suggest you review the connections at the PCM to locate a troublesome modification that a previous owner may have applied.

IMG_0251.JPG.681b99f8e43282d8f1c84beb2137676d.JPG

Connector C1 (far right connector) Pin #23, Orange/dark Blue stripe is the APPS line.

IMG_0248.JPG.ff06bb4cc49b54659d3ffbf794670239.JPG

If you find this "black heat-shrink" blob tacked or spliced into this line with a short jumper wire to the firewall ground, remove it.

This is an error repair/modification from BD Diesel that causes many errors. It's a cheap 180uF electrolytic capacitor that is mistakenly being used as a "filter" to swamp noise on the APPS line. If you find anything connected to this line it is a grievous error. The improper analysis by BD's engineering staff has been marketing this little black box booger for many years and it causes many problems. BTW...the capacitor is 35 cents, the "wire tap pinch device" is 65 cents and the "shrink tubing" to hide this mess is less than one penny. This "magic" filter sells for $30 via BD's website. 

If you do find this black-blob error device and you gracefully remove it, follow up by re-calibrating the APPS device at the bell-crank. 

Cheers,

W-T

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max Tune said:

W-T, thank you for your excellent explanations of our electrical situations. It's written in a college professor style that I actually can understand, and I understand zip when it comes to electrical issues.

:iagree:

W-T thank you for the detailed explanation.  I went out and checked last night and my truck does in fact BD noise isolator. I will remove it this weekend while performing the ground mod.  I still have not had the surging issue again, but i did notice something else on my drive into work today.  My boost pressure was spiking while on the freeway cruising at 65mph.  It would bounce from 4psi to 16psi on my Quadzilla monitor.  I will look at pulling the MAP sensor and replacing it with a spare i have to see if that fixes that issue.  

• Owner

Kick in a bit more for the APPS Sensor...

3 pins are the rheostat.

1. +5V
  2. APPS Signal
  3. GND

Then there is 3 other pins which is the IVS (Idle Validation Switches)

1. Idle
  2. Throttling
  3. GND

Now the stock APPS has a tag value of voltage on the back which is the point the logic chip flips those two idle validation switches. Only one leg at a time will be hooked to ground. If the throttle side is grounded then the ECM follows the APPS signal voltage. If the idle pin is grounded then all APPS voltages are ignored and the Cummins Idle Software is used. Some time ago someone on CF posted about doing voltage adjustment to fix shift issues and such. This went down a huge rabbit hole that had all kinds of bad results. Typically the end user attempted adjust to exactly that voltage and the sensor would rock back and forth between idle and throttling causing all kinds of other issues, idling high, shift changes, possible error codes. Hence why all documentation on the stock APPS sensor says "DO NOT ADJUST"

I've removed a ton of these crappy noise filters and ground wire mods even the dealer today still doing. I will give it to @W-Tthe ground wire mod does indeed work very very well. I just done one not to long ago with shift issues had the BD noise filter and the APPS wire mod. This particular truck would not shift to 4th gear period. After pulling all the wiring mods off and returning pure stock electrical now it shift into 4th gear normally. I even informed the owner I needed to do a W-T ground wire mod soon to keep this straight. I even showed him on my own truck of what is removed and how its wired. I done at least a solid dozen W-T ground wire mods and 100% success rate too. Always a solid fix and no longer AC noise problems.

Now as for APPS sensors I would only suggest the Timbo's APPS being its a completely mechanical sensor and there is NO ELECTRONICS. Life pan of the sensor is about 7 to 9 years of daily driver. Do bother with OE replacement, or Wells APPS both of these are back to using electronics to toggle the IVS to idle or throttling and back to fighting with adjusting voltages and people always screw that up. Timbo's you can literally install, start and drive without even adjusting or doing a APPS reset. I know this isn't optimal but I know it can be done. The whole voltage adjust is all about that IVS switches only on Wells and OE APPS its critical of the voltage where on the Timbo's is actually the bellcrank angle voltage isn't even a issue.

As you see there is no electronics and the angle of the bellcrank will set the idle or throttling IVS legs. This why you could install and forget and never think about it again. Just when you do the install as instructed from Timbos you actually setting the slack space from the screw stop so your closer to the breaking point of the IVS

timbos IVS.jpg

I am wondering if the Timbo APPS will have a longer life for those who have a manual transmission and use cruise control a lot (I would fit into that category).   The reason I mention this is because the ECM does not use the APPS signal for input when cruise control is selected on manual transmission trucks.

My OEM APPS lasted for 290,000 miles before I got the dead pedal and the APPS trouble code.  I use cruise control a lot.

What do you think, @Mopar1973Man?

- John

W-T mod is complete and BD noise filer is removed.  I haven't had any issue since, seems the truck runs better and feels smoother while at idle. Not sure if it's just me or not but I'm not sure why I waited so long to do this upgrade. Now on to other electrical problems.

• Like 4

• Owner
On 2/4/2022 at 12:03 PM, Tractorman said:

I am wondering if the Timbo APPS will have a longer life for those who have a manual transmission and use cruise control a lot (I would fit into that category).   The reason I mention this is because the ECM does not use the APPS signal for input when cruise control is selected on manual transmission trucks.

My OEM APPS lasted for 290,000 miles before I got the dead pedal and the APPS trouble code.  I use cruise control a lot.

What do you think, @Mopar1973Man?

- John

My last timbo APPS lasted quite awhile not sure how many miles I would say over 250k being I got it just before @MoparMom went down with kidney failure. So in my case I did the same thing used cruise a lot but then once in the city lot of light to light driving though.